Why Do You Post Free Resources?

"I've never known a valued open source project to ever suffer long term of the issue you discribe. But I'm interested in hearing any examples if you have any."

Yeah, let's turn this into a pissing contest.

Not; you clearly haven't gone to many open source web sites like freecode.com hotscripts.com etc or read any recent news about kubuntu and more known projects like that. And how's that IPB open source free version doing?

I fail to see how my point of view could be viewed as a p*ssing contest. I was only expressing my point of view based upon what I've seen and known. If having a differince of an opinion counts as a p*ssing match to you.... And I am to assume you have your own forum.... :cautious:

Kubuntu is actually almost as popular as the standard Ubuntu. In fact so much so, that it directly listed in the #1 spot for alternatives to ubuntu. And is actually a fine example of how open source works.

Having your own dislike for it, doesn't change that. I also am unaware of any IPB open source project.

I think its pretty well known why I post free resources. Everything I program for XenForo I dog-food. If I don't have a use for it, then I don't program it. Why release it free? Because I have no interest in giving customer support. If I charged for my programs, I would be required to provide support for them. Of course, I still release bug fixes and what not, because bugs affect my forum as well.

As for what ragtek said about charging for things that are easy to program, I disagree. I myself find programming very easy, and often people pay me for support, and I may charge $50 for something that only takes me 5 minutes to fix. Do they feel they get ripped off? Nope. They feel that they weren't paying me for 5 minutes, they were paying for the 5 HOURS they saved if they would have instead tried to fix it themselves.

I fail to see how my point of view could be viewed as a p*ssing contest. I was only expressing my point of view based upon what I've seen and known. If having a differince of an opinion counts as a p*ssing match to you.... And I am to assume you have your own forum.... :cautious:

Kubuntu is actually almost as popular as the standard Ubuntu. In fact so much so, that it directly listed in the #1 spot for alternatives to ubuntu. And is actually a fine example of how open source works.

Having your own dislike for it, doesn't change that. I also am unaware of any IPB open source project.

I don't know how anyone can knock Open Source projects as a whole, not when you have the likes of "WordPress, Drupal, MyBB, phpBB, Ubuntu, uTorrent, FileZilla, TinyMCE, FireFox and many other great titles out there for using that's all very well supported, much more so than many paid projects.

I don't know how anyone can knock Open Source projects as a whole, not when when you have the likes of WordPress, Drupal, MyBB, Ubuntu and many other great titles out there you can use that's very well supported.
I need to be able to successfully like this post more than once. (y)

I think its pretty well known why I post free resources. Everything I program for XenForo I dog-food. If I don't have a use for it, then I don't program it. Why release it free? Because I have no interest in giving customer support. If I charged for my programs, I would be required to provide support for them. Of course, I still release bug fixes and what not, because bugs affect my forum as well.

As for what ragtek said about charging for things that are easy to program, I disagree. I myself find programming very easy, and often people pay me for support, and I may charge $50 for something that only takes me 5 minutes to fix. Do they feel they get ripped off? Nope. They feel that they weren't paying me for 5 minutes, they were paying for the 5 HOURS they saved if they would have instead tried to fix it themselves.
Yeah I kind of noticed that when I joined your site. All your modifications completely fit a gaming site. What's up with the Tournaments mod though?

At what point did you start getting attitude from the users of your mods? How long into it did that start?

The only time I've gotten attitude is usually after I've done too much for someone and something doesn't go their way, that's why it ain't ways great helping people because some people can't appreciate. Because I like helping, I don't let myself get too involved with other people's stuff so that I don't get annoyed by their bs whenever they start tripping.

It started almost right away but at first I tried to ignore it. Only a simple Thank you for the help and/or the free stuff one gets goes a long way with the person that provides free support and/or releases free stuff like mods, styles etc. But the turning point to paid support it was when an user at vb was *****ing and moaning as to why I placed an expanded version of one of my mods at my own forum as he couldn''t be bothered to register there to download it and demanded that I place it to vb where his higness wouldn''t get tired in getting it. What is next, hand deliever the mods to their homes as well and install it too while I am at it. :D :D

I guess that unappreciative and demanding attitude bothers me because myself I am not like that. Whenever someone is kind enough to help me out with something or even answers a question I have, I am very grateful and I ain''t shy showing it.

I have asked questions only twice, non support btw. One was a pre-sale question before I bought vb and the other was about my account not being validated at vb.org after a couple of hours that I bought my license. And if you will read those threads, I always thanked the person/s that answered my questions.

It started almost right away but at first I tried to ignore it. Only a simple Thank you for the help and/or the free stuff one gets goes a long way with the person that provides free support and/or releases free stuff like mods, styles etc. But the turning point to paid support it was when an user at vb was *****ing and moaning as to why I placed an expanded version of one of my mods at my own forum as he couldn''t be bothered to register there to download it and demanded that I place it to vb where his higness wouldn''t get tired in getting it. What is next, hand deliever the mods to their homes as well and install it too while I am at it. :D :D

I guess that unappreciative and demanding attitude bothers me because myself I am not like that. Whenever someone is kind enough to help me out with something or even answers a question I have, I am very grateful and I ain''t shy showing it.

I have asked questions only twice, non support btw. One was a pre-sale question before I bought vb and the other was about my account not being validated at vb.org after a couple of hours that I bought my license. And if you will read those threads, I always thanked the person/s that answered my questions.
Wow, seems like I'm having a very different experience from yours.

The only thing people really complain about in my case is that the free resources are free.

Probably a good thing you charge cause at least the money will assuage the annoyance you feel.

Yeah I kind of noticed that when I joined your site. All your modifications completely fit a gaming site. What's up with the Tournaments mod though?
I've been really busy unfortunately. I have the parser all done... which was about 2 months ago...

I post things for free because life is full circle and I have come into possession of many things that I did not earn and it gave me the available shortcuts in life to allow me to pick things up fast and that is all I will say and as simple as I can put it. Empathy is a bit(h.

All of my advancement in skill level that can be counted as something worth even a whisper about has been because I can account for part of my days attendance for about 2 years here and what I have gained from others helping me for free here and abroad allowed me to without going to school and stopping my daily life, invest my free time in gaining a skill so I could be useful to my community at least to a degree.

The tradeoff is until I can become skilled enough where I am willing to do specific contract coding jobs (paid releases with updates are contract work to me) , I will keep doing things be it behind the scenes helping people who support this place or publicly releasing stuff to keep the cycle going until the next breed of noobs produces the one or two that want to learn and I am able and willing to pass the torch so to speak assuming that by the time that occurs I will have acquired the skills I seek to attain. If not I will just remain a noob standing alone that wants to learn everything. Either way I can't lose because I get paid more than any dollar amount could account for because you just can't buy some things.

If all that was too long for someone to read because the time I took to write my actual feelings down extended past the time they were willing to extend to reading my post.....

Well that was just a post, imagine how I would feel about you if you had a response to this post but weren't willing to read the whole thing over properly, then imagine how someone else feels who not only spent time learning a skill most others can't, but actually used that skill and technique they honed to make a product and deliver it for free no strings attached and no loopholes...when someone trashes them for not being up to the minute with updating it or whatever the problem is.

ko͞oTH

Support your circles as you will be judged in circumference as a whole and no one piece is ever greater than the whole.

I don't know how anyone can knock Open Source projects as a whole, not when you have the likes of "WordPress, Drupal, MyBB, phpBB, Ubuntu, uTorrent, FileZilla, TinyMCE, FireFox and many other great titles out there for using that's all very well supported, much more so than many paid projects.
#corrections μTorrent is not an open source program.

I would offer free and paid versions of products if I ever get down to not being lazy.

For example if I had made XenPortal (which I completely love!) I'd have made two different versions. I don't know if any of you are familiar with DragonByte on Vbulletin but I'd do it like them. Free Version/Pro Version.

If it's a simple add-on like adjusting postbits, adding trophy boxes, adding top 10 anything (simple read and sort code).... I'd give that away for free and update it when I see fit. Not that I have an issue with the existing programmers who've taken time to create these wonderful $1 add-ons... I just don't see any point to charging at all! lol But $1 does go a long way. I was once in the position where coding and developing was my only source for bread and bed :) (starving artist story).

I don't complain if it's free and I double, triple check my need for anything that I have to pay for. I already put $140 into the community and my staff has contributed at least another $100 for add-ons. We make no money from the site.

Top Bottom