Why do forums fail?

The majority of startup forums fail because they have nothing to offer. Established forums struggle because they are no longer relevant or more likely because they have failed to connect with the smart phone generation who expect instant engagement.

Developers and admins sit behind personal computers while their prospective community are using an app on a smart phone. There's a misconception that the younger generation is lazy because of the effort involved in engaging with forum software. The truth of the matter is they are living in the modern world while we are still attempting to perpetuate a technological age that is long gone. If you want a plate of chips you really don't need to learn how to grow a field of potatoes.

Successful forums generally fall into two categories. Those that are effectively libraries, long established with a wealth of information and support forums usually linked to a commercial enterprise. Trying to grow anything else is nigh on impossible unless you are proactive and unique in your niche.

It's not all doom and gloom. Developers are starting to look outside of the traditional forum environment that we are familiar with. Smart phone apps are essential and the ability to search multiple forum databases is another tool with huge potential. If you want to compete with other social platforms then you must use the combined power and strengths of forums to do so.

I don't have Facebook either. Waste of time. And yes, still alive and happy without it.
Got an account but not really using it, apart from 2 group chats in messenger :D

I even have an extension installed in the browser which replaces the news feed with a daily quote, if I ever happen to go there :cool:

Got an account but not really using it, apart from 2 group chats in messenger :D

I even have an extension installed in the browser which replaces the news feed with a daily quote, if I ever happen to go there :cool:

I see no point. If you go there, what you see most is stuff which you don't need. Also noticed that they having dating and jobs section now.

Exactly the reason for using that browser extension :D
Didn't knew. I use browser for ads on YouTube and websites. But didn't knew about Facebook. Anyway, not using Facebook. It's just not for me. Eats to much precious time.

All the "I don't have Facebook" talk is proof why forums fail.

Just as a disclaimer before someone jumps in; as a private person I can say that I have never ever been registered on Facebook. I doubt all the "I don't have Facebook" users can say that, because I believe at one point they were registered in the last 10 years or so. But ditched it later. Not in my case. I never "tasted the honey" so to speak. So, if one wants to brag about it, I can do that, too, and more than most people.

Now, let's get to the point.

If you want to be a hunter, you must go after your prey.

And if your prey (your target audience) sits on Facebook, you bite a sour apple and follow them. You must present yourself "in the community" so to speak. Be a member of their Facebook groups and if the occasion presents itself, forward people to your site for "more".
And now my site has its own Facebook account and I participate sometimes in several groups and have a lot of private talk.

Like it or not, especially all the old farts who generally are non-tech-savvy, they do sit on Facebook. You need to be seen by them, they won't come to you, you go to them. They barely know how to navigate through the internet, so normally it would be a surprise to find them on your forum. Hence why you make yourself seen by them.

Whatever you call it "play their game", "play the game by their rules", "following mainstream"... "wherever the stream shifts to", you must be there.
You can't close your eyes and watch the ships sail away. You must follow them.

Same can be said for mobile phones. It gets more and more important. Closing your eyes will fail, thus why forums fail.

Last edited:
If you want to be a hunter, you must go after your prey.

And if your prey (your target audience) sits on Facebook, you bite a sour apple and follow them. You must present yourself "in the community" so to speak. Be a member of their Facebook groups and if the occasion presents itself, forward people to your site for "more".
And now my site has its own Facebook account and I participate sometimes in several groups and have a lot of private talk.

Yes, this is important - Set up your page, advertise your forum, get your members that are on FB to like your page, have a signup link to /register and poke something into the page now and then. Try to watch what replies/questions come and gently point them to a thread in your forum if applicable.

Also do the same on twitter: https://twitter.com/fordsixperf

Top Bottom