Fixed Why ↔ gets converted to an emoji when used in posts?

Aivaras

I have both "Convert Markdown-style content to BB code " and "Convert short code to emoji / smilies " unchecked in ACP. When I use the left-right arrow symbol in a post, it gets converted to its emoji equivalent like so: ↔

Enclosing ↔ in [PLAIN] tags solves the problem. This is not efficient though, more of a temporary workaround. Can this character conversion be switched off globally in XF? If so where?

As I understand it these are an OS/Browser level thing. Try doing the same in a plain HTML file with the utf-8 charset and I believe you’ll get the same result due to a crossover in the Unicode codes(?). Citation needed. 😋

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
Actually, I think this is a bug in the underlying library which converts emoji characters to images.

So, this emoji 😋 gets converted to an image: 😋

As noted ↔ gets converted to an image too: ↔

It shouldn't, it isn't really an emoji.

I believe this is fixed in a later version of the library, but the changes within it are quite extensive which may make it difficult for us to implement in 2.1.x, but we'll look into it.

Actually, I think this is a bug in the underlying library which converts emoji characters to images.

So, this emoji 😋 gets converted to an image: 😋

As noted ↔ gets converted to an image too: ↔

It shouldn't, it isn't really an emoji.

I believe this is fixed in a later version of the library, but the changes within it are quite extensive which may make it difficult for us to implement in 2.1.x, but we'll look into it.
Did some experimenting. Seems to be a font thing.

I see emoji in Verdana but not in Arial on iOS. What about you?

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
That isn't the issue here. It's as I've described.

I may have a solution but not currently certain what impact it will have on emoji conversion generally.

That isn't the issue here. It's as I've described.

I may have a solution but not currently certain what impact it will have on emoji conversion generally.
OP says emoji image conversions are off. Is OP seeing the emoji image (from XenForo) which would be a bug or the OS emoji character (seemingly a font quirk).

Aivaras

I have the same post in my XF1.x version (same formatting including the font) and the issue is not there.

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
OP says emoji image conversions are off. Is OP seeing the emoji image (from XenForo) which would be a bug or the OS emoji character (seemingly a font quirk).
He has short code to image conversions off, e.g. :slight_smile: being converted to 🙂

That's different to converting 🙂 to 🙂

For the avoidance of doubt, I have already categorically confirmed the issue exists in our code so other quirks that exist on some platforms aren't currently suspected as being related.

He has short code to image conversions off, e.g. :slight_smile: being converted to 🙂

That's different to converting 🙂 to 🙂

For the avoidance of doubt, I have already categorically confirmed the issue exists in our code so other quirks that exist on some platforms aren't currently suspected as being related.
Ah gotcha. 👍 Sorry, I had similar issue in past and it turned out to be font related so just wanted to throw it out there. 😄

XF Bug Bot

XenForo bug fixer bot
Staff member
Thank you for reporting this issue, it has now been resolved. We are aiming to include any changes that have been made in a future XF release (2.1.6).

Change log:
Revert a previous change related to the conversion of some non-emoji characters to images.
There may be a delay before changes are rolled out to the XenForo Community.