Who's getting a Chromebook?

Not that keen myself since anything I want to do on the go I can do on my phone and if I wanted a bigger form factor I imagine I'd prefer something like a Macbook Air or some sort of tablet device. Whilst for home computing I mainly use software that I can't see working as an 'app' especially a web based one, and I can't imagine those type of devices have the power that I need.

On top of that I don't really want to surrender over all that data to Google, at least not anymore than I do at the moment.

yeah, the more i read about it the more I think of it as a big tablet rather than a laptop replacement. There is no real desktop on it, everything is done through the web, apps and everything. Not even sure if you can install your own applications on it, etc.

I think it would be nice for people that are really into the web (I'd get it just to run my websites on the go possibly), but as a computer replacement, I don't think so.

I have two cr-48's, and might buy either the new Acer (wifi) or Samsung (wifi).

If Lenovo comes out with one that has a trackpoint, I'll buy that one with no second thought as I much prefer trackpoint over trackpads.

I'll be getting one just 4 fun to check it out. I'm more interested in how well the concept works in a real environment rather than actually using it for serious work though. I'm particularly interested in the wlan + UMTS version, but so far, my mobile provider has no idea if and when it will be possible to use it over here.

I see them as viable alternative to netbooks or pads - I do have a netbook but don't really like it. For serious work, it's way too slow and limited at the hardware side. That's when I want to use my desktop or notebook. For the typical "net stuff", a more lightweight solution would be sufficient.

Is there a price on this yet?

This is what I've found so far
"The Samsung will run $425 for the Wifi-only version or $499 for the 3G model, which includes 100MB data service. The Acer will cost “$349 and up.” Expect the duo on June 15th from Amazon and Best Buy in the US with leading retailers selling the two in the UK, France, Germany, Spain, Netherlands, and Italy."

I'll definately be getting one, if only for the purpose of being able to work on my websites/forums while sitting in the living room with the wife, rather than moving my laptop back and forth (I use it for a desktop replacement so I've got lots of stuff hooked to it)

Top Bottom