Who uses large monitors > 30 inch

Marcus

I am thinking about upgrading my monitor and I am looking forward to buy a 46 inch HD monitor from samsung. Anyone did the same?

I currently use a HP ZR30w, which is a 30-inch S-IPS LCD Monitor. I absolutely love it. Mostly because of its resolution, 2560x1600. If I'm not mistaken, the 46" Samsung display will only afford 1080p, which isn't really a desktop friendly environment. These displays are geared more towards viewing distances greater than 6 feet.

Quad monitors are much better than one large one (y)
Portrait monitors are brilliant for reading / writing documents.

But if you must go one large monitor, tools such as http://winsplit-revolution.com/ make management of this large workspace much easier

Attachments

• IMG-20111228-00868.webp
    IMG-20111228-00868.webp
    96.3 KB · Views: 84
I noticed that on VA monitors, the image quality is much worse in portrait mode.

I mainly use computers for browsing, so HD is enough for me, of course more vertical pixels are always nice. I do not code most of the time.

I am thinking about upgrading my monitor and I am looking forward to buy a 46 inch HD monitor from samsung. Anyone did the same?
Exactly why do you need such a large monitor?

The larger monitors are generally for CAD engineers, designers, developers and people who work long periods of times at the computer and require large amounts of screen real estate.

Large Single Monitor.
(Went from at one time 4 monitors 3- 40" and a small guy thru various configurations until I went back to a single using my oldest and most favorite XBR bravia 40"...but I have in fact been using a 40'' tv as a screen for years and I feel like it is quite user friendly...infact, I will never buy a computer monitor ever again. )

those letters above this line btw, are if I measure them here about a 1/4 of an inch still...so add that to the reasons below.

Here are my reasons.

Like was mentioned... 3d , graphic design, drafting, all are easier when you have more physical space for your playground. Now that I am trying to learn some coding as well I can say it comes in very handy to be able to see two or three docs at once without having to squint.

Video Playback...on full screen...your computer is the worlds best dvr playback system....though if you adjust your video window to a quarter of the screen and you still have enough space to browse the internet, or run a game or whatever that doesn't need full screen... and mostly you can see everything clearly while doing that.

One monitor over multiple...one power supply, one display unit...less current, less heat.

VMware multiple operating systems...allows me to have them at a small resolution so I can see up to four operating systems at once if need be on a single screen.

For the money you have to spend for a good looking ultra thin bezel monitor let alone two that you would need to make a nice looking and smooth flowing multi- monitor setup, you can buy a 40'' high end tv with a pc input.

Samsung is great and they are for sure at the top of the class with a few other brands but I can not stress how awesome the sony xbr bravias are. I have bought every person in my family a flat panel within the past year as well as 3 bravias myself in my life. Out of all of the monitors I have experienced, the only brands I would buy again are Sony and Samsung at this point.

I also wouldn't bother with designated pc monitors...too much money for too specific an item. Much better to have a screen that I could slap a gaming console on without converters, or even if my pc is doing a lengthy operation (file copies, backups, batch re-encoding) I can just watch tv or play a game on one input and jump back and forth between that and the pc input to check up without having to be wasteful and have 2 screens running at once.

I dunno...that's my blah.

But a large screen allows you to use a split screen the same way.
It's not the same really.
The main issue is that programs are not designed to work in 1/3 or 1/4 or 1/2 the screen. When you open an application, it opens full screen. If Windows had integrated split screening ... one large monitor might be better than 2 regular size monitors.
I use a program called UltraMon for managing multiple monitors.
What kind of monitor do you have now ? Maybe you already have 2 LCD monitors ? Try multi-monitor first. Or buy a reasonable LCD monitor for $100 and try dual monitors first. If you don't like it, sell the monitor for $70, and you haven't broken the bank for the experiment.

For mostly web browsing and making documents ... dual monitor is much better than one large monitor. I can see how in graphic design, you might want to zoom in on something really small ... but I don't think you want something for graphic design artists.

Another idea would be to try the split screen programs on a small monitor ... you'll get to know they aren't that good.

It's not the same really.
The main issue is that programs are not designed to work in 1/3 or 1/4 or 1/2 the screen. When you open an application, it opens full screen.
Most good programs open in the state they are left in...so whatever it is when you click the X is what it is going to be when you open it. Photoshop...notepad++ both do that I know off the top of my head...and they also open up in the location on your desktop that you left them last when you closed them. Also most good programs should run in windowed or fullscreen mode just fine ...I run call of duty windowed with a tv episode playing just above and to the left of it and it works just fine. I manually set a command in the game console to set to windowed r_fullscreen 0 and then I apply the graphic's settings changes vid_restart and there we go...whatever resolution I set the game...the window sizes to and when I close it...that is how it is going to load.

Either way I don't see the need to split the screen with software. That is just pointless overhead imo especially if you don't have a fast machine and a good video card. If you need to adjust the size of a window...adjust the size of the window. If you need to adjust the size of some text...just hold Ctrl+mouse wheel up or down. I have a hotkey on my mouse that gives me the overlay of all the open windows I have with some text on hover...clicking opens them hotkey again closes overlay.
saves time switching to minimized apps...looks like this....
sd.webp

When you need multiple windows visible at the same time you adjust them in size and content if possible but for things like quick switching between multiple apps the above works out just fine. Another alternative is setting up virtual installs of your os with groups of apps installed to specific virtual operating system instances. I also do that and it works too...also you can with vmware anyways run the app in unity mode and seamlessly run multiple OS's from one desktop..
sssssssss.webp

and this is unity...a dev install of xenforo on a virtual machine on my desktop as well as that virtual OS's startbar....
ttttttttttttttt.webp

Aside from all that extra stuff...this is my advice to the OP

I can say that if you go too big you will be sitting too far from your monitors to have it at a normal desk...you will be probably be happy with your 46" class samsung...I would be weary of using any single monitor bigger than that...if not for the awkward desktop orientation you would have to address... you might get snow-blindness if your sitting close to a huge screen and you open something like notepad fullscreen :)

That reminds me...if you do go this route and get a 1080p lcd tv for your computer...make sure to adjust the monitor's backlight...your eyes will thank you...it sucks to look in your refrigerator and see the last window you had open.

I see a nice samsung 46 inch LCD TV for $900.
I see a nice 19 inch SQUARE monitor for $180.
So now we are talking 4 monitors for the price of one :)

If 2 monitors aren't better than one. 4 surely are :)

That's one cup of tea...I prefer one juicy steak to four McHeartattack burgers any day :)

But why waste money at one steak house when you can get the exact same thing at another but with more quantity and a lower price? 4 monitors the that equal the size of the 46 inch are cheaper and if not better then the TV.

not when I can use my computer as a dvr and watch full screen from bed, you go head and watch a video spread across 4 screens from across the room..i'd prefer not to have space in between four blocks of video that make up my video now.

I have 27" Led cinema display for my macbook pro but considering getting another one. dual monitor is always better then single big monitor.

not when I can use my computer as a dvr and watch full screen from bed, you go head and watch a video spread across 4 screens from across the room..i'd prefer not to have space in between four blocks of video that make up my video now.
You made something wrong, when you need your computer to watch a dvr.
PC to work: Multiple Screens. I just thinking about a 3rd 22" Monitor on my Desk. The Desk won't be in a Living or Bedroom. The bunch ob PC stuff really not is a living room object.
There is a PS3, a huge TV and rellay good speakers. No Work!

So: For work: Use multiple Screens. for fun, use one big!

Top Bottom