1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who is using Asterisk?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Floren, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

It's been 2 months since I "hacked" 2 Cisco 8961 phones to work with Asterisk.
    I moved from a regular $50/month landline to Asterisk with voip.ms as line provider ($2/month). The results are really impressive. This is an old video I made, when I was testing the setup. What I like about Cisco phones is how elegant they are and how great the sound quality is with Asterisk.

I run Asterisk on a NUC server (CentOS 6 x86_64, tiny box next to mouse), that also managers my APC Pro and sends me emails when the power is out. It shuts down gracefully the servers when the APC reaches a certain percentage and restarts them back when the power outage is finished.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I have just started learning Asterisk...
    Floren likes this.
  3. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

I have 2 asterisk boxes.
    I use PBXinaflash.com (PIAF) to do all the heavy lifting.
    PIAF uses FreePBX as the GUI for Asterisk.
    They have a great forum ... guess who got them on Xenforo ? :)

Ward runs the show ... his blog is here.

Good place to start
    it has endpoint managers that make adding phones quite a bit easier.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  4. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

I'm running my own packages of Asterisk for CentOS 6 because none of RHEL based repos provide a complete list of useful/properly updated extensions. For example, mp3 and srtp. :) Also, my Cisco phone model requires a patched version of Asterisk (axivoplus).
    # yum --enablerepo=axivo list asterisk*
    Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
    Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
    * base: centos.mirror.netelligent.ca
    * extras: centos.mirror.iweb.ca
    * updates: centos.mirror.gtcomm.net
    axivo                                                                                            | 2.9 kB     00:00
    axivo/primary_db                                                                                 |  97 kB     00:01
    Installed Packages
    asterisk.x86_64                                                   11.5.1-1.el6                                @axivoplus
    asterisk-core-sounds-en-g722.noarch                               1.4.24-1.el6                                @axivo
    asterisk-moh-opsound-g722.noarch                                  2.03-1.el6                                  @axivo
    Available Packages
    asterisk-alsa.x86_64                                              11.5.1-1.el6                                axivo
    asterisk-calendar.x86_64                                          11.5.1-1.el6                                axivo
    asterisk-core-sounds.noarch                                       1.4.24-1.el6                                axivo
    asterisk-core-sounds-en.noarch                                    1.4.24-1.el6                                axivo
    asterisk-core-sounds-en-alaw.noarch                               1.4.24-1.el6                                axivo
    asterisk-core-sounds-en-g729.noarch                               1.4.24-1.el6                                axivo
    asterisk-core-sounds-en-gsm.noarch                                1.4.24-1.el6                                axivo
    asterisk-core-sounds-en-ulaw.noarch                               1.4.24-1.el6                                axivo
    asterisk-core-sounds-en-wav.noarch                                1.4.24-1.el6                                axivo
    asterisk-curl.x86_64                                              11.5.1-1.el6                                axivo
    asterisk-dahdi.x86_64                                             11.5.1-1.el6                                axivo
    asterisk-devel.x86_64                                             11.5.1-1.el6                                axivo
    asterisk-fax.x86_64                                               11.5.1-1.el6                                axivo
    asterisk-festival.x86_64                                          11.5.1-1.el6                                axivo
    asterisk-ldap.x86_64                                              11.5.1-1.el6                                axivo
    asterisk-lua.x86_64                                               11.5.1-1.el6                                axivo
    asterisk-minivm.x86_64                                            11.5.1-1.el6                                axivo
    asterisk-mobile.x86_64                                            11.5.1-1.el6                                axivo
    asterisk-moh-opsound.noarch                                       2.03-1.el6                                  axivo
    asterisk-moh-opsound-alaw.noarch                                  2.03-1.el6                                  axivo
    asterisk-moh-opsound-g729.noarch                                  2.03-1.el6                                  axivo
    asterisk-moh-opsound-gsm.noarch                                   2.03-1.el6                                  axivo
    asterisk-moh-opsound-ulaw.noarch                                  2.03-1.el6                                  axivo
    asterisk-moh-opsound-wav.noarch                                   2.03-1.el6                                  axivo
    asterisk-mysql.x86_64                                             11.5.1-1.el6                                axivo
    asterisk-odbc.x86_64                                              11.5.1-1.el6                                axivo
    asterisk-ooh323.x86_64                                            11.5.1-1.el6                                axivo
    asterisk-oss.x86_64                                               11.5.1-1.el6                                axivo
    asterisk-postgresql.x86_64                                        11.5.1-1.el6                                axivo
    asterisk-radius.x86_64                                            11.5.1-1.el6                                axivo
    asterisk-skinny.x86_64                                            11.5.1-1.el6                                axivo
    asterisk-snmp.x86_64                                              11.5.1-1.el6                                axivo
    asterisk-sqlite.x86_64                                            11.5.1-1.el6                                axivo
    asterisk-tds.x86_64                                               11.5.1-1.el6                                axivo
    asterisk-unistim.x86_64                                           11.5.1-1.el6                                axivo
    asterisk-xmpp.x86_64                                              11.5.1-1.el6                                axivo
    Personally, I prefer to use a CLI interface, instead of a GUI, it allows me to have a better control of everything. It also allowed me to learn much faster how to setup properly Asterisk.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013