• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Who is running NGINX?

IcEWoLF

Who here runs their boards on NGINX?
I am considering using NGINX alongside Unixy Varnish Cache plugin.

Do you see a huge performance increase vs traditional apache?
How about performance between NGINX and Litespeed?

JulianD

I saw a great boost to performance when I went from apache2 to nginx. I haven't installed varnish cache yet but I'm planning to do some test soon. Will report you if I do.

Last edited:

IcEWoLF

I saw a great boost to performance when I went from apache2 to nginx. I haven't installed varnish cash yet but I'm planning to do some test soon. Will report you if I do.
Thanks, currently I don't have a test vps server other than my main to do any testing. I will probably wait until September.

MattW

I've been testing Nginx on my Ubuntu server at home, and it does perform really well. If I only had my site on the live server, I'd run it on there (and remove cpanel).

MattW

I know. At one point, we were using one of them to monitor a PGP server we have at work, as we needed something"off network" to check SSH was still running, and I was only using the smaller VPS as a Nagios monitoring box.

p4guru

Who here runs their boards on NGINX?
I am considering using NGINX alongside Unixy Varnish Cache plugin.

Do you see a huge performance increase vs traditional apache?
How about performance between NGINX and Litespeed?
http://www.techspot.com/community/ uses Nginx and Xenforo :) I also use Nginx for my Xenforo forums via Centmin Mod installer.

Generally Nginx > Apache. Litespeed and Nginx static file serving pretty close. Litespeed LSAPI PHP > Nginx php-fpm in terms of scalability though on pure PHP processing without any caching. (especially if you're confined to a single web server only and not a cluster of web servers).

I don't use Nginx built in caching via fastcgi_cache, but maybe Floren can share some pointers as he has success using it for Xenforo :)

Last edited:

Sheratan

I have setup a xenforo forum before (a busy forum), using nginx php-fpm + xcache in ubuntu. The only one problem is, I can't find any setup to get > 500 concurrent :(

Floren

You can use it but you would need the fastcgi_cache_purge module to go with it. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Not sure if you are referring to an Nginx module. If you do, you don't need that module as the cache is purged automatically based on your defined settings.
I don't use Nginx built in caching via fastcgi_cache, but maybe Floren can share some pointers as he has success using it for Xenforo.
Is all here: http://wiki.nginx.org/HttpFastcgiModule
Look at the cache variables. :)

Last edited: