XF 2.1 Which File Controls How Many Pagination Numbers Show?

jgaulard

Hi,

I'm looking to increase the number of pagination page links that appear at the top and bottom of the forum pages (above and below the thread lists). I can't seem to locate this code in the template files, so I'm assuming it's somewhere in the PHP files.

Would anyone have any idea which file contains this code?

Thank you.

Jay

/admin.php?options/groups/discussionOptions/

max last page links setting should do it

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate your help.

The setting you referred me to is one that adjusts the number of pagination pages within a thread itself. The area I'm looking to adjust is the pagination for the actual forum pages. So let's say I have 200 threads contained within one particular forum and 20 threads showing per forum page. I would have a pagination list something like this: "1 - 2 - 3 ... 10 - Next."

What I would like to see is "1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 ... 10 - Next." I basically would like to add pages to the list. I believe this would need a change to a PHP file. Any advice would be helpful.

Here's an image of the pagination I'm referring to:

forum-pagination.jpg

And here is a link to a page on which the pagination can be found:

Thank you.

Jay

Last edited:
You can click the 3 dots (...) to enter any page you want to navigate to. Listing more pages would be cluttered. Just an FYI, hopefully someone will help you add more.

It's more-so for search engines. I have some sub forums with 100+ pages. I'd like to implement this https://audisto.com/guides/pagination/#logarithmic-pagination
Errr... are you exactly sure that Google (and most of the major search engines) actually care what "page" it's on? AFAIK they simply find the actual page and link to it directly...
Looks like that is more a "give us money to help you" than "this is what actually works".
Even in the article you referenced...
In order to choose the right pagination the following question has to be answered:
Are all items of the list equally important or is only a small number of the items important?
So, how are you going to determine which actual items are of importance.. or is it simply a shotgun blast?

So, how are you going to determine which actual items are of importance.. or is it simply a shotgun blast?
Shotgun blast. I'm an SEO for a living. Look at the distribution graphs for "first, last and neighbors" compared to logarithmic.

Shotgun blast. I'm an SEO for a living. Look at the distribution graphs for "first, last and neighbors" compared to logarithmic.
Targeted provides (for the end user) a better result. Shotgun blasts are only a concern of those that are more concerned with traffic (even if it's not based upon valid data)... and most of those trend towards being concerned with getting traffic to increase income.
Of course, it ultimately depends on where your priorities lay.
I have yet to see any definitive data that "more pages shown in navigation" equates to more search inclusions. By your argument, you would need EVERY page shown as a "priority" as you don't know which has relevant topical information and which is just every-day BS.
I'm pretty sure that the search algorithms for the major engines are not just based upon the first post (or page) in a thread. A search engine (unless restricted) will crawl the entire thread.

Targeted provides (for the end user) a better result. Shotgun blasts are only a concern of those that are more concerned with traffic (even if it's not based upon valid data)... and most of those trend towards being concerned with getting traffic to increase income.
Of course, it ultimately depends on where your priorities lay.
I have yet to see any definitive data that "more pages shown in navigation" equates to more search inclusions. By your argument, you would need EVERY page shown as a "priority" as you don't know which has relevant topical information and which is just every-day BS.
You're right on that, which is why an option would be nice. It's called page rank and the paper was written by Google founders in 1995 https://blogs.cornell.edu/info2040/2019/10/28/the-academic-paper-that-started-google/

You're right on that, which is why an option would be nice. It's called page rank and the paper was written by Google founders in 1995 https://blogs.cornell.edu/info2040/2019/10/28/the-academic-paper-that-started-google/
And that was how many years ago? Over a quarter of a century if my math is correct.
You DO realize that search algorithms and abilities have changed/progressed since then, correct?
Last I checked.. the major search engines will "peruse" your entire thread and consider the content (unless you restrict it)... it's not limited to the first page/post of the thread. The search engines (if left to themselves) have no problems going down that rabbit-hole of thread content.

And that was how many years ago? Over a quarter of a century if my math is correct.
You DO realize that search algorithms and abilities have changed/progressed since then, correct?
Last I checked.. the major search engines will "peruse" your entire thread and consider the content (unless you restrict it)... it's not limited to the first page/post of the thread. The search engines (if left to themselves) have no problems going down that rabbit-hole of thread content.
I've been a professional SEO for 20 years, don't patronize me. I'm just asking for the option.

I've been a professional SEO for 20 years, don't patronize me. I'm just asking for the option.
Not patronizing.. simply stating that current SEO really doesn't use pagination and that most of us have no interest in it... if it is a "special need" then there is the ever present (and oft needed) 3rd party developers to provide it.
YOU are the one that pointed to an article that was over a quarter century old. I simply pointed out that pagination is not that much of an SEO impact currently as some think... a quality search engine should search the entire thread for content inclusion.
At the level you appear to desire.. I seriously doubt that you would be pleased with any basic change... you would probably be better served with a bespoke add-on.

Just as an aside, John Mueller (Google) recently stated
So, how does Google handle pagination now? In one of the Google Webmaster Office-hours Hangouts last year, John Mueller provided a simple explanation:

"We don’t treat pagination differently. We treat them as normal pages.”

Now, remind us.. who, with over 85% of the search engine traffic is the top ranked search provider in the world?

Last edited:
I have no interest in debating you. The thread is not about thread pagination.
Really?

I'm looking to increase the number of pagination page links that appear at the top and bottom of the forum pages (above and below the thread lists). I can't seem to locate this code in the template files, so I'm assuming it's somewhere in the PHP files.
You may not wish it to be.. but it appears that the OP has a differing opinion?
If you desire customization for your specific needs... then I suggest entering a post here, or here.

Top Bottom