Which era of film making is better? 🎥🎞🎬📽

Which era of film making is better? 🎥🎞🎬📽

• Total voters

oO5 Dynasty

I love the movies from the 80’s I might be biased because I’m an 80’s baby! But there is a reason film directors also go back to revisit that era!

cough Seventies. 😋

Star Wars (aka A New Hope) (And The Empire Strikes Back, still the best of the lot IMHO, came out in 1980 so is really a tail-end seventies film)
Jaws
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Godfather I & II

Eighties were good, too, so I made that my vote but a lot of my all-time favorites are 70s movies

(I'm in the weird demographic position of being on the cusp between late boomers and Gen X. In movies I hearken to the 70s but in music I'm more of an 80s person)

I mean the poll lacks a lot of decades. The golden age of Hollywood is from 1930s-1940s. I would have voted for that.

The poll should have 1920s-2010s (as 2020s is not finished yet)

I mean the poll lacks a lot of decades. The golden age of Hollywood is from 1930s-1940s. I would have voted for that.

The poll should have 1920s-2010s (as 2020s is not finished yet)
The poll doesn’t lack because it’s the era’s I wanted my poll to reference. But I would be more than glad to vote on a poll you create that includes the eras you would like to talk about. 😀 Seems like cool eras

cough Seventies. 😋

Star Wars (aka A New Hope) (And The Empire Strikes Back, still the best of the lot IMHO, came out in 1980 so is really a tail-end seventies film)
Jaws
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Godfather I & II

Eighties were good, too, so I made that my vote but a lot of my all-time favorites are 70s movies

(I'm in the weird demographic position of being on the cusp between late boomers and Gen X. In movies I hearken to the 70s but in music I'm more of an 80s person)
Such an amazing reply and the 70s were amazing!

Lets stick to these eras.

The 80's was awesome, sure. Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Goonies, Blues Brothers and many more.
But there was also a lot of crap.
The 90's was kind of meh. Except Terminator 2 and a bit of Alien.
So, if you call to the 2000er also 2010 and 2020, then I need to tick that option. I am a very big Fan of the MCU.

But - there is alway a but (or a bud?) - the film maker in the 80s was much more focused on details and filming technologies. The fast cuts in most modern films are really ugly. I love long Fight Scenes wich seems to be a one shot.

Some good Samples from the last years: Atomic Blonde, The Defenders (Netflix TV Show)

Last edited:
Lets stick to these eras.

The 80's was awesome, sure. Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Goonies, Blues Brothers and many more.
But there was also a lot of crap.
The 90's was kind of meh. Except Terminator 2 and a bit of Alien.
So, if you call to the 2000er also 2010 and 2020, then I need to tick that option. I am a very big Fan of the MCU.

But - there is alway a but (or a bud?) - the film maker in the 80s was much more focused on details and filming technologies. The fast cuts in most modern films are really ugly. I love long Fight Scenes wich seems to be a one shot.

Some good Sampoles from the last years: Atomic Blonde, The Defenders (Netflix TV Show)
Such an amazing response, and I love the MCU. Iron Man is my favorite

I like the latest movies because of the enhanced production values made possible by modern technology. A classic from the past would look better if made today keeping everything the same other than the tech used to make it.

Good CGI looks amazing and the more modern the better the tech used to make it and hence the better potential to look good. In fact, CGI is used in many scenes where it's not even obvious it's being used and looks completely natural, not just sci-fi to render impossible things like Superman flying etc. Of course, all the tech in the world won't save a poorly made film.

291637B6-BB26-485A-B045-516E215D7DBF.webp

Who saw this film? 1987 So silly 😂, the 80’s def had some crazy moments haaaaa.

I like the latest movies because of the enhanced production values made possible by modern technology. A classic from the past would look better if made today keeping everything the same other than the tech used to make it.

Good CGI looks amazing and the more modern the better the tech used to make it and hence the better potential to look good. In fact, CGI is used in many scenes where it's not even obvious it's being used and looks completely natural, not just sci-fi to render impossible things like Superman flying etc. Of course, all the tech in the world won't save a poorly made film.
Amazing, and some of the new Star Wars films benefited from technological advances! Nice pick!

bit of Alien
Which Alien? Alien was seventies and Aliens was eighties so are we talking Alien 3 or Alien Resurrection? 3 was okay and had some good bits but didn't blow me away like the first two. Resurrection I have not seen yet.

Amazing, and some of the new Star Wars films benefited from technological advances!
Too bad the writing and acting largely sucked, IMHO, at least in the prequels. They looked gorgeous but I want more than that from a movie (I also feel that way about Avatar, BTW). I never saw the sequel trilogy. Rogue One is the only recent Star Wars movie that I have liked.

Which Alien? Alien was seventies and Aliens was eighties so are we talking Alien 3 or Alien Resurrection? 3 was okay and had some good bits but didn't blow me away like the first two. Resurrection I have not seen yet.

Too bad the writing and acting largely sucked, at least in the prequels. They looked gorgeous but I want more than that from a movie (Avatar is the same for me, BTW). I never saw the sequel trilogy. Rogue One is the only recent Star Wars movie that I have liked.
Rogue one was amazing!

Yeah, I was actually surprised by it. Very different from your regular Star Wars but held up very well on screen. The CGI Tarkin was the only dicey bit and he was used sparingly enough that it didn't bother me much.
Is it true that was a one off, and not follow up to it?

Is it true that was a one off, and not follow up to it?
Given that they killed off most of the cast and it ends right at the beginning of A New Hope, yeah, it's a one-off. Diego Luna's character is supposed to be getting a show on Disney+ but that will, of course, take place before Rogue One (see bit about killing off the cast).

Given that they killed off most of the cast and it ends right at the beginning of A New Hope, yeah, it's a one-off. Diego Luna's character is supposed to be getting a show on Disney+ but that will, of course, take place before Rogue One (see bit about killing off the cast).
True

cough Seventies. 😋
I have to agree. There were so many original, groundbreaking films released in the 70's, no other era has come close. By comparison the majority of modern movies are remakes, prequels, sequels and Marvel franchises.

If you Google top film lists from the 70's you'll find every single film is original, most of which have stood the test of time.

Here's one such list: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls000019899/

Top Bottom