Where do most add their forums to help exposure?

You're advice is pretty sound Russ, the key is to get your link on competitor forums as much as possible without getting banned or your links removed. The more links you can get from relevant sites that are in the same nice/category as your the better off you'll be.

One trick I do is I google the keyword Im targeting for, visit the sites, check them out and if its possible I try to get a backlink from them to my site.

Works pretty great.

You're advice is pretty sound Russ, the key is to get your link on competitor forums as much as possible without getting banned or your links removed. The more links you can get from relevant sites that are in the same nice/category as your the better off you'll be.
This is a grey line. So, watch your step. You can be a competitor forum and be allowed to link, but if you pissed off that competitor site [mod, admin or owner] not only will you not be able to link the site because the owner censored the link via filters, and will ban you pretty hard.

For example, a competitor forum came over to my site and registered. What'd he do? He registered with a username that has his site name, and then spammed the hell out of my forum with links in his sig and the posts itself. So, I banned him immediately, and then killed all his posts. All of it.

I was pending a negotiation that went sour with him, and he decides to spam my forum at the same time. Jerk.

This is a grey line. So, watch your step. You can be a competitor forum and be allowed to link, but if you pissed off that competitor site [mod, admin or owner] not only will you not be able to link the site because the owner censored the link via filters, and will ban you pretty hard.

For example, a competitor forum came over to my site and registered. What'd he do? He registered with a username that has his site name, and then spammed the hell out of my forum with links in his sig and the posts itself. So, I banned him immediately, and then killed all his posts. All of it.

I was pending a negotiation that went sour with him, and he decides to spam my forum at the same time. Jerk.

Yeah that guy was just being a douche.

It works best when you actually contribute to the other community. Something of value and substance, not just one and two word replies and obvious spamming like that. Most administrators realize communities are a two way street, they've gotta be able to give and in return they gotta get something.

Top Bottom