• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Where do developers hang out?

=MGN=RedEagle

Hi guys,

I live where there are no people... I hang out with gamers online in a huge group chat on my site but I was wondering if there was a live group chat type thing for developers?

Anyone know some places where developers hang out on the web live via live chat or voice chat?

alexD

For chatting there is always irc (see freenode) and the new guy in town: Slack.

If you like threaded discussions, you can read some essay-level commentary on hacker news (about start-up culture, latest programming languages and shiny frameworks, self management and things like that).
I use this chrome extension to keep track of the read comments.
BEWARE of its echo-chamber nature.

For a more casual discourse I find proggit ok.
Depending on your niche, you might find other subreddits more interesting.

Reading github issues and commit comments can also enlighten you once in a while (the way wikipedia and books would).
On a fun note: Check your privilege when participating in any code-of-conduct, or 4chan-level, "discussions".

Last edited:

ManagerJosh

For chatting there is always irc (see freenode) and the new guy in town: Slack.

If you like threaded discussions, you can read some essay-level commentary on hacker news (about start-up culture, latest programming languages and shiny frameworks, self management and things like that).
I use this chrome extension to keep track of the read comments.
BEWARE of its echo-chamber nature.

For a more casual discourse I find proggit ok.
Depending on your niche, you might find other subreddits more interesting.

Reading github issues and commit comments can also enlighten you once in a while (the way wikipedia and books would).
On a fun note: Check your privilege when participating in any code-of-conduct, or other 4chan-level, "discussions".
I might be wrong, but I think @=MGN=RedEagle was wondering where all the XenForo Developers (addon/KMA) hangout online.

alexD

Last edited:

Robust

I lurk around in a few Slacks for developers. I deal with Laravel a lot so I'm always in their Slack and it's really helpful. XenForo should get a Slack made... for developers.

=MGN=RedEagle

I lurk around in a few Slacks for developers. I deal with Laravel a lot so I'm always in their Slack and it's really helpful. XenForo should get a Slack made... for developers.
Checked out slack, it seems like a closed group service. You can join other people's chats as you want?