Not a bug When moving an unapproved post, XenForo offers to alert the user although it actually won't create an alert

Steffen

Affected version
2.2.6 Patch 1
When moving a post, XenForo gives the moderator the opportunity to alert the user (and to optionally enter a reason). These input fields also exist when moving an unapproved post although XenForo will never actually create an alert for unapproved posts ("XF\Service\Post\Mover::sendAlert" skips posts whose "message_state" is not "visible"). The checkbox and the optionally entered reason are silently discarded.

I'm not sure what the best solution is here. Maybe XenForo could show a warning in the "post move dialog" when some of the selected posts are not visible?

On balance, after giving this some thought over the last few release cycles, I think this is ok.

There are numerous examples - particularly with inline moderation - where the options available or even the action that you're performing is not entirely relevant to all pieces of content and in those cases actions are skipped silently.

I don't see a huge issue in this particular case that the alert is skipped and I'd rather not continually add complexity and additional logic for things like this unless there's a very clear and compelling reason to do so.

For the most part it should be fairly obvious we're not going to generate an alert to a user for something that isn't visible to that user.

I accept not everyone will agree with this, but it just feels too minor and edge case to make into a big deal and write additional code for.

I accept not everyone will agree with this, but it just feels too minor and edge case to make into a big deal and write additional code for.
I am one of those who does not agree :)

What about a generic documentation fix:
Add a phrase to the dialog stating that alerts will only be sent for valid posts?

That should be trivial and avoids moderators expecting users to know that a post has been moved, expecting reactions on the message, etc.

If we documented every single tiny edge case the code would be in a terrible, unwieldy, and cluttered mess.

My feeling is it just doesn't matter in the slightest and barely worth the time taken to discuss or think about it. If it's crucial to you - and I really don't think it needs to be - then the template to modify is inline_mod_post_move (and perhaps a couple of others).

Top Bottom