• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What's the reason asking for date of birth?

Vicki

Hi, I'd like to get some ideas from you guys about it. As I'd like to make a note about the reason under the 'Date of Birth' field - make users feel a little less offensive.

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
BTW, if you want to make it optional and add a note, you can edit the register_form template.

Find this:
HTML:
<xen:if is="{$dobRequired}"><p class="explain">{xen:phrase your_date_of_birth_is_required}</p></xen:if>
Replace it with this:
HTML:
<xen:if is="{$dobRequired}"><p class="explain">{xen:phrase your_date_of_birth_is_required}</p><xen:else /><p class="explain">{xen:phrase your_phrase}</p></xen:if>
Replace the your_phrase text with your own phrase name and then create the phrase with the text you want.

Despair

I thought it was for COPPA, which required people that sign up to be at least 13 years of age, unless they had guardian permission. I find more and more registration forms are just ditching that requirement, I guess people don't really care about it anymore...?

Vicki

Wow. You guys are so fast! Thanks so much everyone!(y)

Brogan, thanks a lot for the template edits code, it'll be very helpful!

I am wondering what the main reason it is for Xenforo.com having the 'Date of Birth' field required?