What's the point of reverse proxy for 1 server setups?

NeoCHI

So I just started a new dedicated a known host and asked them to setup nginx as my webserver and they replied:

cPanel doesn't support Nginx in place of Apache web browser. However, we can assist you to install it as reverse proxy.

If I'm only using 1 server isn't it pointless to use reverse proxy? Also, can't I just use http://cpnginx.com/ to make cPanel support Nginx?

cPanel does not support nginx in native mode. Installing nginx in cpanel means you use nginx as reverse proxy in front of Apache.

So it seems that using Nginx as a reverse proxy means:

Nginx will listen to the default web server port 80 and Apache on port 8081. Nginx will manage the static files where Apache will handle the dynamic scripts.

And this makes things faster?

Btw, when you guys say your using nginx + php-fpm does that mean your using nginx as a reverse proxy or as a webserver then?

So it seems that using Nginx as a reverse proxy means:

Nginx will listen to the default web server port 80 and Apache on port 8081. Nginx will manage the static files where Apache will handle the dynamic scripts.

And this makes things faster?
Theoretically. Some folks said faster, some said not. I don't use it so I can not give any reviews

Btw, when you guys say your using nginx + php-fpm does that mean your using nginx as a reverse proxy or as a webserver then?
as a webserver

If that's a fully managed server, ask them to install stack LEMP (nginx 1.7.4, php 5.5.15, MariaDB).
nginx in front of apache with cpanel is UNSTABLE.

Top Bottom