Whats the difference between CMS content and the first post?

Shelby

This got me thinking. What is the difference between CMS content and the first post of a thread. Really, not a whole lot in my mind. I imagine that the first post of a thread is really just content, and the replies are comments. I wonder if you could just adapt the style, so that the first post looked more like actual content and the replies looked more like comments. All you'd need is thread prefixes, ala Categories and an article system wouldn't be far off.

That would be more like a blog, no?

If you can have a main page as the index.php page, and import the first post of a thread as the 'blog entry' on the it I would seriously consider changing one my sites over to XF very quickly.

This was part of a debate over at vB awhile ago (and I suspect it has come up several times over the years). Too many times content is locked into the thread/post concept and it is very limiting. I haven't had time to investigate XF's approach at all, but I REALLY hope that content is better unified. You don't need thread tables with matching post tables along side of blog tables and comment tables along with Article tables along side comment tables or even Gallery images along side of comment tables.

What is the difference between CMS content and the first post of a thread.
Not much ! That's why a common request is "Promote a Thread to an Article" .
There is a project going on to use Administrative Posts as "Blog Posts".
XenPorta

I haven't had time to investigate XF's approach at all, but I REALLY hope that content is better unified.
I'd be interested in hearing your wishlist for content structure.
It worries me how xenForo's initial Motto was "Let's make a great Forum first". Once you lock yourself in "Forum Making Mode" you miss out on other MUCH BETTER ways to structure information.

As we can already see here at xenforo.com - it's impossible to find anything already.

Top Bottom