1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What work / task management tools do you use?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jeffin, May 15, 2015.

1. Jeffin

Jeffin Well-Known Member

Sometimes I feel I need to get my life organized and so yesterday I was googling for tools that will help me organize my work. Evernote and Trello seems to help a lot of people. Are there any that you recommend? How do use them?

2. Case

Case Active Member

I use Basecamp a bit for project management.

Jeffin likes this.
  3. keith.arvixe

keith.arvixe Active Member

I like Evernote. I use onenote and google calender to get my self on track. Mainly Google because I use it on my desktop and my cell phone so it just makes it easy to use it across all devices.

Jeffin likes this.
  4. Jeffin

Jeffin Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input. I haven't started testing any tools out. I have been using Google Keep and Google calender for a few months now. I don't really have a like structure to how I manage tasks. Just write something down and put in a reminder rarely. Mostly they happen in the head which is why I forget to do a lot of things. Just like you said, I too use Keep and Calender only because I can access them on my phone and laptop and its the same login across these programs.

The other day I was watching a video from David Allen about capturing everything, writing them down somewhere and then organising them into reminders. Haven't tried that method out yet but it looks interesting.

5. sgr

sgr Active Member

Lists: Wunderlist > Keep. Sync works perfectly too.

Capturing everything: Evernote.

6. RickM

RickM Well-Known Member

Mantisbt for software issue tracking, Evernote and Google Docs for planning/notes.

I'm stuck using crappy basecamp at work. Horrible software.

Crazyfruitbat likes this.
  7. sgr

sgr Active Member

Anyone using Trello or Slack? How are they?

8. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

https://www.rememberthemilk.com/ - browser based so it can be used anywhere (has an App too so easy to update via iPhone) and is great for basic task scheduling and reminders. I tried the free version, and since the upgrade to Pro was so cheap, upgraded the next day. (y)

9. RickM

RickM Well-Known Member

Oh I also use Slack at work. Only recently started using it. It's ok I guess, not really a productivity app though, it's a glorified chat room.

sgr likes this.
  10. Teapot

Teapot Well-Known Member

I use both, although I use Trello for personal projects (my workplace prefers Pivotal Tracker, which I find a little heavy for my tastes). Trello is excellent for organisation and planning, just so long as you don't need powerful Agile capabilities (velocity calculation, etcetera)

As for Slack, it's regarded as "the new IRC" - and as a private team chat, it is really excellent. But it's of very little use if you only have one person :)

Last edited: May 30, 2015
    sgr likes this.
  11. Crazyfruitbat

Crazyfruitbat Well-Known Member

In work we have a decently large team, we use asana to work out who is doing what and by what time period. It's like basecamp but less abrasive

12. Brad L

Brad L Well-Known Member

All hail Slackbot :notworthy: