XF 2.2 What version of XenForo is required for video transcoding

Tom McIntyre

We have been trying to put together our video strategy and one important element is short videos associated with a thread about how something works. (We clocks and watches).

I have not been able to find an answer by searching here.

XenForo has no feature to transcode videos posted as attachments in threads.

You must post videos in XenForo Media Gallery if you want to transcode them.

Once you got my head back on straight, I realized that my real problem is with iOS/Safari in particular on my iPhone. The videos I post here work with my iPhone, but the ones I post on my site do not work. I presume that is due to a version difference in the software.

We are running Media Gallery 2.2.5 and Video support was introduced a long time ago.
Is there some extra step that is needed to ensure that the server software includes ffmpeg support.
What is the best way to find out if it is there?

We are running Media Gallery 2.2.5 and Video support was introduced a long time ago.
Is there some extra step that is needed to ensure that the server software includes ffmpeg support.
In your XFMG setting Screen Shot 2024-03-29 at 12.41.35 PM.webpshould look something like this. Your setting could be different.

Make sure that in admincp > options > attachments > video settings are ticked and set mate

Apparently the FFmpeg had not been done on our most recent system move and it was also not installed on our host. The host had it up for me in 15 minutes and I edited the options in MG.

I now get the transcoding message, but I do not get the promised message/alert when it is finished. I may need to check my alert settings.
I have not received a notice from the transcoding,

1711764167513.webp

These are my system settings just in case this activity requires more resources.The problem with my iPhone remains.
I am not sure why my system consultant did not upgrade to PHP 8.1. If that is a requirement, I will let him know on Monday.

The current php is 8.2 I'm a bit behind. If files are not showing up after transcoding it could be a few things.
1) the FFmpeg binary path could be wrong. Don't assume my setting are the same as yours. Best ask your host of if you have terminal access this command may work: locate ffmpeg

2) Check to make sure your php location is correct. Use locate php if you have terminal access

3) Check your ACP > Content > Attachments to see if it attached

I believe the paths are correct. I had the support at Knownhost install it for me and used the command line to confirm their presence. I am not sure the versions are the ones needed for support on the iPhone/Safari viewing platform.
I uploaded two mp4 items that do play on my laptop with windows. This is how they look in the attachment browser. They do not display anything when clicked. Unassociated may be a clue. One of these is in my gallery here and does play on my iPhone, so I believe I am still dealing with some versioning problem.
1711803940049.webp

Yes, I have full access to the server. I just need to be careful not to blow away my live site while trying to sort this out.

I am more comfortable with SQL than the rest of the system.

What confuses me and my users is that the basic mp4 videos we are trying to display do not appear to need transcoding to work on windows and other browsers except Safari.
mp4 don't need to be transcoded to play on Mac either. Transcoding reduces the size and does other things for streaming.

"Transcoding is the process of converting an audio or video file from one encoding format to another in order to increase the number of compatible target devices a media file can be played on."

I am still having trouble with transcoding.
When my hosting company installed ffmpeg on my server they put it in /bin/ffmpeg.

php is in /usr/local/bin/php according to the which command.
ffmpeg is in /bin/ffmpeg according to which.
Those are the values I entered in the ACP Media Gallery options.

Do I need to have them in the same path?
I have never gotten a transcoding complete message
Does ffmped need to be configured or is that done by the XenForo code when it is used.

I am still having trouble with transcoding.
When my hosting company installed ffmpeg on my server they put it in /bin/ffmpeg.

php is in /usr/local/bin/php according to the which command.
ffmpeg is in /bin/ffmpeg according to which.
Those are the values I entered in the ACP Media Gallery options.

Do I need to have them in the same path?
I have never gotten a transcoding complete message
Does ffmped need to be configured or is that done by the XenForo code when it is used.
Seems like it should be working. I have my php specified /usr/bin/php8.1 there should be nothing to do with ffmpeg.

You may want to put a ticket in your account and see if they can help with this.

I noticed that a file apears in my workstation downloads folder that seems like it may belong in the ffmpeg internal process. It is a binary file, so I zipped it to be able to show the name here. I also do not see any entry in cron that is obviously associated with ffmpeg.

I am still trying to think of what I could say in my ticket to knownhost support.

Attachments

Top Bottom