What the bloodyhell am I doing with Emoji name translations?

ShikiSuen

// Sorry for the British slang in the title. I am just complaining my cursed fate.

While translating XenForo language files, I found that there are over 3000 entries used for Emoji names.
(Automated translation services, including neural translation technologies, won't work with CJK languages without massive manual edit, period.)

These names are in detail with even skin-color variations of certain Emoji icons, and the strings of skin colors are not even dynamically shared among these strings. This made me unable to simply use those strings extracted from macOS CoreEmoji framework localization files (because this can only solve 55% of total emoji name translations).

There needs to be a way of allowing websites & applications to read Emoji name translations directly from the visitors' operating system. Or, alternatively, Unicode Consortium needs to also provide their public (API-accessible) Emoji translation library.

My point is simple: These are not supposed to be counted into workloads of XenForo translations.

1590496591728.png

Last edited:
Phuque me, I have to translate all gender-specific entries with not only opposite genders but also gender neutral.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

some of those are font awesome which you don't even need to translate anyway .. or you can download the language your looking for from the font awesome site

im sure you would be able to find the emoji library in the language you're looking for if you ask xf dev what library they are using.
Emoji is a Unicode standard. The Emoji library used in XF2 only supplies Emoji icon graphical data, not icon name translations.

Top Bottom