What new social features need Xenforo?

Markos

I think that the success to Xenforo would be determinated that the UI and the social features. I think the work doing is great, but XF need more social features to be great. We have suggested in the past that...

1) Status integration with facebook and twitter
Very important, the members use more often twitter and facebook instead of the forum notifications...a integration (like in ipb) should be great).

2) Recent Status Updates Page and Widget
There are already a Widget for this, but is incomplete and a feature like that should be in the core. I like the "Recent status updates" and the Widget present in IPB, but i think XF can do better!
3) User Tagging
Very useful, there are already an addon, ma i think should be in the core (cit.).
4) Social Gallery
I don't have ideas about that...have you ideas about that?
5) You May know...
Features and and a widget to increase the user interaction/socialization.

What social features in your opinion Xenforo need?

Tagging is overrated.

I'm partially agree, i'm think that user tagging it's not very important on Xenforo, because if you want to inform a user that you have replied to their post, you can simply quote this. But the user tagging can be useful for other reasons.

I hope to see the point 1 and 2 implemented in 1.1....very important!

In my experience, tagging is hardly ever done by my users. They are just too darn lazy (and so am I for that matter). It can be hard for mods to keep up on a busy forum. The tagged results are often missing pertinent threads/info.

Any auto-tagging mod often is totally undependable.

In my experience, tagging is hardly ever done by my users. They are just too darn lazy (and so am I for that matter). It can be hard for mods to keep up on a busy forum. The tagged results are often missing pertinent threads/info.
Agreed. Maybe keeping the tagging to a minimum is a good thing ?
I've always wanted Tags to work across threads, photos, wiki articles, articles, blog posts, videos.
Does anyone have a good example of a well tagged forum where tags work well ?

Any auto-tagging mod often is totally undependable.
Does it help with the search engine spiders for SEO ?

By tagging i intend "user tagging", not "forum tagging". Like twitter (example Digital Doctor xxx, you see an alert that i have nomined you). But IMHO also the forum tagging is very useful and often requested by forum admins. That is why the new version of IPB (3.2) has the tagging of topics as a features.

Does it help with the search engine spiders for SEO ?

Yes, tagging help lot with seo (this is one reason because blogs are often well positioned on Google serps). The auto-tagging is very useful WHEN your users is informed to adjust the tags and you have sufficient mod to adjust the "wrong tags".

XenForo really needs to make use of the many tools provided by Facebook(permissions).

For instance, when someone who logs in via Facebook, makes a thread or replies to a post, it should be posted on his FRIENDS' wall with the following message or similar:

" I (or {username}) just replied to {thread title}
Wanna join the discussion?"

Same thing with Twitter.

Also, when someone signs up via Facebook, they should be asked if they want to invite his/her friends.

This is EXTREMELY useful if you want your site to grow.

Here is the list of permissions Facebook makes available.
http://developers.facebook.com/docs/authentication/permissions/

Totally agree! Do you play Kingdoms of Camelot on Facebook? Ar another FB games?
Most games use a notification achievement system, when if you gain a new achievement, you see a notification in your wall, like: XXX XXX has gained this achievement! It's not bad to see this integrated in the Xenforo Trophy system...

Now this is only a idea. If the user can choice or not to integrate FB and forums i don't see a privacy issue on this. And this can be a great promotion system!

Totally agree! Do you play Kingdoms of Camelot on Facebook? Ar another FB games?
Most games use a notification achievement system, when if you gain a new achievement, you see a notification in your wall, like: XXX XXX has gained this achievement! It's not bad to see this integrated in the Xenforo Trophy system...

Now this is only a idea. If the user can choice or not to integrate FB and forums i don't s a privacy issue on this. And this can be a great promotion system!

Often users don't realise quite how much power certain permissions give applications over their accounts. I support this idea to an extent, it should post up notifications when trophies are won (automatically) and it should ask whether you want to post to your wall when you start a thread. However it should not post something to your wall every time someone makes a post. First of all that can create a lot of crap on facebook walls and second if it becomes annoying for friends of that person they are simply going to block that application altogether so they will then see nothing about your forums. A little user generated marketing is much better than having it forced into people's faces every time they log on to a social networking site.

However it should not post something to your wall every time someone makes a post. First of all that can create a lot of crap on facebook walls and second if it becomes annoying for friends of that person they are simply going to block that application altogether so they will then see nothing about your forums. A little user generated marketing is much better than having it forced into people's faces every time they log on to a social networking site.

Totally agree with this.

I'm partially agree, i'm think that user tagging it's not very important on Xenforo, because if you want to inform a user that you have replied to their post, you can simply quote this. But the user tagging can be useful for other reasons.

I hope to see the point 1 and 2 implemented in 1.1....very important!

This is true. But what if the user wants to bring the post to the attention of others? Or if the user is starting a thread? Title alone might not do it to catch attention.

Anyways, I don't think it would hurt to have this as a feature or addon that could be turned on/off by the admins., but that's just my opinion.

thread tagging is great if one can allow all members to tag. its like a 'community stream of consciousness'

I love how social XenForo is, it is truly amazing at how effortlessly you can make your site a bridge between your community and social sites.

Hash tagging. So that I can create a #covette in a post and have that hashtag link to all the other $corvette threads.

Top Bottom