What Modifications Are Used in Xenforo?

DRE

I've seen a thread like this somewhere but can't find it. What modifications are used on xenforo? I've seen the Resource Manager but can't think of anything else at the top of my head. I know this site is sort've like a combination of how vbulletin.com would be if it was merged with vbulletin.org but as far as modifications go, vbulletin.org has way more enhancements.

Well, vBulletin.org has been in business waaaaaaaaaaaaay longer. I don't think XenForo.com runs much more than XF with Resource Manager + Enhanced Search. It does probably have a few custom modifications made to combine it with their own Client Area and what not, but that's all I can think of the top of my head.

Probably a customer detector add-on that detects (hidden from members) customers and makes them distinguishable from non customers so staff know who's a customer and who's not. Although I could be wrong.

Socially Uncensored is what I think is a prime example (flag ship) of how well XenForo works with modifications, template, edits, tweaks, add-ons, and 3rd party products. With over 100 toys added, we're still using fewer resources than vBulletin 4 and almost equal to vBulletin 3 (but still using less).

The only flaw we can find is the memory leak bug for skins & langues packs ( link 1 / link 2 ). Although if you visit us today (Sunday) and things seem a little "slow" or "odd" .... Sunday mornings is when I tweak things & I'm mildly tweaking now.

XenForo.com is intended to show as closely as possible to potential customers what is available in the core software.

Other than the Resource Manager, Enhanced Search, the custom footer and some customer related code, there is nothing else and certainly no third party add-ons.

Well, vBulletin.org has been in business waaaaaaaaaaaaay longer. I don't think XenForo.com runs much more than XF with Resource Manager + Enhanced Search. It does probably have a few custom modifications made to combine it with their own Client Area and what not, but that's all I can think of the top of my head.
I didn't know they were using enhanced search. I don't really see a big difference between the original one and enhanced search.
Probably a customer detector add-on that detects (hidden from members) customers and makes them distinguishable from non customers so staff know who's a customer and who's not. Although I could be wrong.
That makes sense. I see Brogan getting on to non-customers all the time.
Socially Uncensored is what I think is a prime example (flag ship) of how well XenForo works with modifications, template, edits, tweaks, add-ons, and 3rd party products. With over 100 toys added, we're still using fewer resources than vBulletin 4 and almost equal to vBulletin 3 (but still using less).

The only flaw we can find is the memory leak bug for skins & langues packs ( link 1 / link 2 ). Although if you visit us today (Sunday) and things seem a little "slow" or "odd" .... Sunday mornings is when I tweak things & I'm mildly tweaking now.

I replied to those memory bugs thread. I had the same problem. My solution was uninstall the extra skins and languages. :(

XenForo.com is intended to show as closely as possible to potential customers what is available in the core software.

Other than the Resource Manager, Enhanced Search, the custom footer and some customer related code, there is nothing else and certainly no third party add-ons.
Why not create some new color variations on the theme then?

IMO, that's what makes the vBulletin.com forums so damn stupid.
I disagree. I like that they have different forum themes. This is a forum theme from vBulletin.com that I imitated as a style for xenforo. Bold Grey Fluid and Fixed

bold-grey-jpg.27950

I disagree. I like that they have different forum themes. This is a forum theme from vBulletin.com that I imitated as a style for xenforo. Bold Grey Fluid and Fixed

bold-grey-jpg.27950

Well mainly, for me it is, is that the ones vBulletin.com uses are damn ugly. Sure it shows off how easy it is to change colors etc, but they look hideous.

I think XF.com should stick with the default style since that is what they are selling.

The only place I have no problem with seeing a default skin and as little mods as possible is the developer forums. Which should be stripped of too much stuff, since buyers need to see how the forum looks 'by default' not pay and then get annoyed the template they have installed is not as nice as the developers' skin. The good thing is that XF actually has a nice 'out of the box' template, so I can't complain too much :D

IMO, that's what makes the vBulletin.com forums so damn stupid.

That's because the colour variations of <insert colour hex value here> are so vibrant they should come with a uv warning. Good gradient styles and colour usage by people who know what colours go well together will produce amazing looking styles

When I was a member on the Egosoft forums, owned their space games many years ago now. They used a method that showed a "TICK" below your avatar letting other members know you owned the game. With each game purchased came a code you entered into your profile settings to activate the TICK displayed in all your posts. It worked well really, because you'd get some people running a pirated version of the game asking support questions and could tell which people to give answers and ones looking iffy asking questions (obviously playing the game) but not showing as actually owning it.

If you visit this link, you can see the TICK I'm talking about displayed below each persons avatar. http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=317656

They only brought that in later after me being a member there before it happening, they just got fed-up of game pirates asking for advice on problems running game in the end - so introduced it because members was "giving help" unaware they was using a pirated free copy. Not warranting being helped by members forking out money for the game!

Wow. Can you post a list of all the plugins you are using? The features look very interactive and impressive!

Well mainly, for me it is, is that the ones vBulletin.com uses are damn ugly. Sure it shows off how easy it is to change colors etc, but they look hideous.

I think XF.com should stick with the default style since that is what they are selling.
I looked at vBulletin.com the other day and I know what your talking about now.

I am not defending the other themes, just that Bold and Grey one. :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom