XF 2.0 What is the purpose of a moderator-type account, when you are able to give full moderator permissions to even a normal account?

PhoenixR

As we all know, in order to turn a regular member's account into a moderator-type account, you need to go to Admin > Groups & Permissions > Moderators, and press the Add Moderator button. That will then instigate turning a regular account into a moderator-type account.

(We set up all our moderators as super-moderators, as we want them to be able to moderate all the forums).

Now I have noticed that if you do not give that newly-created moderator-type account any other user permissions, the only thing this moderator-type account can do is view and process the Approval Queue (where new member registrations are processed). So on it's own, a moderator-type account is hardly any different to a regular member's account.

The moderator-type account will only get further moderator permissions once you add it to the Moderating secondary user group, which can be done on the member's user page, or give the account specific individually-selected moderator permissions (as chosen in Admin > Groups & permissions > User permissions).

But what I find strange is that even if you do not turn a regular account into a moderator-type account, just placing that regular account into the Moderating secondary user group will give the account all the same moderator powers and permissions (except for the ability to view and process the Approval Queue).

So a moderator-type account does not appear to have much purpose, if nearly all moderator powers can be given even to a regular account, just by placing them in the Moderating user group.

Or am I missing something here? For me, Xenforo permissions is a confusing area, and I would just like to better understand why Xenforo has created these two types of account, the regular account and the moderator-type account.

(except for the ability to view and process the Approval Queue
That is the key difference.

The moderator bar will be displayed at the top of the page for all moderators. This allows them to access the approval queue and reported items.

Permissions are cumulative and can be applied at the user, group, or node level.

If you haven't already read these, they should help.

Thanks very much for your reply, Brogan.

That is the key difference.

I guess then my question is, why did Xenforo choose to attach that particular permission to view and process the Approval Queue to the moderator-type account, as opposed to just placing this permission as a selectable option with the normal permissions files, for example placing that permissions in this group:

1600558339021.png

The only reason to create a moderator-type account is to get that particular permission to view and process the Approval Queue. But wouldn't it have been easier and more consistent to just have that permission included in the above group?

Thanks very much for your reply, Brogan.

I guess then my question is, why did Xenforo choose to attach that particular permission to view and process the Approval Queue to the moderator-type account, as opposed to just placing this permission as a selectable option with the normal permissions files, for example placing that permissions in this group:

View attachment 235453

The only reason to create a moderator-type account is to get that particular permission to view and process the Approval Queue. But wouldn't it have been easier and more consistent to just have that permission included in the above group?

You know what, that is an excellent suggestion. It would make way more sense to have View Approval Queue as an option as opposed to an entire different Moderator function. That's a big +1 from me!

Approval Queue.webp

Top Bottom