What is it that you want a Porta, CMS, or Article system to do?

jonsidneyb

I am betting there will be a wide variety of answers.

Maybe if the various things people want is known those that know of a solution can point you to the right direction and if it is something that does not exist yet perhaps the people working on solutions can get an idea on what some people would like to see.

Please post your requirements.

I will kick this off. Hopefully others will post what they are looking for.

JonSidneyB's Portal or CMS requirements.

1. To be able to promote a thread to an article.

2. A permission set that will allow myself to be the only one to promote a thread to an article.

3. Both the thread and article are visible.

4. Any comment on the article appears as an article reply and in the thread.

5. Any post in the thread appears both as a reply to the article and in the thread.

6. The ability to create an index of the articles with categories and easily be able to change the order of these articles without having to post them again.

7. The ability to format the articles into double column.

8. It would be nice if it would be able to be inside a skin made for XF.

I think I have have covered all I would concider the minimum requirements. I wil add to this if I think I really need more.

Does anyone know of one that will meet my requirements?

Yes mine WILL do this. (still no public version available :( :( )
Even i'm against this (google doesn't like double content) i included your points 1,2,3 into my article add-on after we had our conversation:) (8,7,6 are already possible)

BUT this sounds like you'd like to have only a second "view" of the threads:D

Same texts, same comments... so why store it 2 times in the db?

Anyone else have things they want in a portal/CMS?

ragtek, how long until your public version?

Can anyone tell me the problems they have had with double content and Google?

Someone once explained why I was not having problems on my current set up but I forgot the reason.

jon, can you give me a reason why you want the article + comments to appear in the forum.
Is this to help give "traffic" to the article from the forums by showing up in What's New ?
Any other reasons ?
How many threads a month will be promoted to article ?

jon, can you give me a reason why you want the article + comments to appear in the forum.
Is this to help give "traffic" to the article from the forums by showing up in What's New ?
Any other reasons ?
How many threads a month will be promoted to article ?

The reason is purely financial.

The Front page shows products that I sell.

Vendors that I never make a dime off of try and get sales on my forum plus it is more lucrative to sell product rather than sell ads. People used to think for some reason unknown to me that the forum made revenue from those people though it didn't.

Now that the front page is populated with items the forum sells people are aware that forum is supported by sales. Many people see the items on the front page and never join. Some people members would make comments on the front page and that was helpful. I also had threads in one part of the forum that seemed to only get noticed when someone would post and it would appear on the new posts list then would fade away.

I actually got more comments on the front page then in the forum itself. I installed a mod for the vBCMS and now the threads and articles are one in the same. When someone posts on the front page in bumps the tread in the forum and more people notice the items that are not visiting the front page.

It makes sense for me to have members bump up discussions about the products available from the forum. I did ask why some don't seem to notice banners but seemed to respond to the bumped threads. I was surprised that some people see so many banners they tune them out. Of course not everyone tunes out the banners.

The mod seems to be liked by people and is used by quite a few people. I am not sure why others want this but it seems I am not the only one.

I will kick this off. Hopefully others will post what they are looking for.

JonSidneyB's Portal or CMS requirements.

1. To be able to promote a thread to an article.

2. A permission set that will allow myself to be the only one to promote a thread to an article.

3. Both the thread and article are visible.

4. Any comment on the article appears as an article reply and in the thread.

5. Any post in the thread appears both as a reply to the article and in the thread.

6. The ability to create an index of the articles with categories and easily be able to change the order of these articles without having to post them again.

7. The ability to format the articles into double column.

8. It would be nice if it would be able to be inside a skin made for XF.

I think I have have covered all I would concider the minimum requirements. I wil add to this if I think I really need more.

I agree with everything on the list. Probably goes without saying, but would be able to handle all media (articles, photos, videos, maybe audio files).

I would like full permissions implemented.

I think I would prefer to have option of triple column.

Text wrapping around photos.

In a perfect world, would have drag and drop layout for main page.

Yes mine WILL do this. (still no public version available :( :( )
Even i'm against this (google doesn't like double content) i included your points 1,2,3 into my article add-on after we had our conversation:) (8,7,6 are already possible)

BUT this sounds like you'd like to have only a second "view" of the threads:D

Same texts, same comments... so why store it 2 times in the db?

I agree, I think it only needs to be viewed in two places, not stored twice.

Top Bottom