What is happening to AdminExtra?

Not really, but it is surprising because you struck me as someone that once they get an idea into their head, there's no shifting it. I got the distinct impression you've been one of the flag waving vB fans back in the day.

Perhaps that's a lesson in judging people.

The other thing about inspiration is that you do not get it from inside a closed room. It absolutely relies on exploration. If you're in a room full of people all with broadly the same experiences, you tend to find yourself agreeing with things a bit too much - and potentially short on ways to push the envelope. That's why, as much as I might or might not like the various software out there, I keep looking around. Bits of this, bits of that. Grabbing inspiration from all kinds of places.

I can get ideas and inspiration anywhere. I don't and haven't ever felt the need to grab it from other software. I'm fully capable of pushing the envelope with looks alone. I don't like normal, so it's easier for me. I hate the the same look everywhere, so I intentionally do things differently... good or bad.

I tend to find the people that bicker are the people who don't want to explore alternative ideas too much. But this is why I avoid admin forums in general like the plague because I don't want to be part of such echo chambers where only <software X> is the right choice.

I tend to find the people that bicker are the people who don't want to explore alternative ideas too much.
Yes, they are. Or they're so closed minded that no one else is allowed an opinion :)

But this is why I avoid admin forums in general like the plague because I don't want to be part of such echo chambers where only <software X> is the right choice.
Aren't you kinda contradicting yourself now? You've just said that they're a source of inspiration :)

The right choice in software is completely dependent on the person and their needs. If people ask, I say that XenForo is the right choice for me. I don't say they should use it without exploring any other option out there. Each software must stand or fail on its own merits. The reason I stay on the forum that focuses on XenForo solely is because I get quick answers to questions, because I'm surrounded by other people who know the software and we can share ideas, knowledge and inspire each other to try new things. That's not an echo chamber, that's just removing the white noise that isn't relevant.

Sometimes. Admin forums that only drink the kool-aid are echo chambers and usually full of nothing useful. But admin forums that discuss different software are pretty good. Even with some of the bickering.

On the one admin forum I actively participate on, I'm quite happy to sit and support both XF and IPB if those are the right choices for the user asking. Sometimes XF isn't the right choice.

I have yet to find such a place that actively considers new ideas while filtering out enough white noise to be able to focus on the god stuff, while not filtering out too much external inspiration.

Sometimes. Admin forums that only drink the kool-aid are echo chambers and usually full of nothing useful.
Well I don't drink Kool Aid *shrug*

But admin forums that discuss different software are pretty good. Even with some of the bickering.
But only if you're interested in different software :)

On the one admin forum I actively participate on, I'm quite happy to sit and support both XF and IPB if those are the right choices for the user asking. Sometimes XF isn't the right choice.

Which is what I said previously. The choice of software is dependent upon a number of factors, not just a personal favourite.

I have yet to find such a place that actively considers new ideas while filtering out enough white noise to be able to focus on the god stuff, while not filtering out too much external inspiration.
I don't really understand what you mean here. Considering new ideas is a huge part of forums - otherwise there would be nothing to discuss, surely?

Top Bottom