If we can come to a list of functions that is attractive to multiple admins, then we can move to the next phase and hire a developer to create advanced social group functionality.
We can opt to use an existing addon and enhance it with the needed functions or we can opt to have something new written.
Here's what I would like to see (in no particular order):
- I think its vital that such addon is written by an experienced developer who produces quality code. It should run on small and big boards without performance issues.
- Automatic invites based on profile fields, location, etc.
- Gallery per group. Preferably by integration of existing galleries like xenmediagallery.
- Subforums per group
- Custom fields
- Agree to group rules / terms when joining
- Optional activity reminder
- xentags for groups and threads
- connect forum with a group and automatically invite the active posters of that forum.
- project tools for groups: group tasks
- widget: statistics on group members forum achievements in the last X days: reports, posts, likes, etc
- Moderator checkpoint system for group members.
- group portal layout widgets. Similar to XRGrid or by using XRgrid.
- Privacy settings: public, invite only, only visible to members, apply for membership.
- social sharing
- group conversations
- group calendar
- multiple group owners / moderators
- group news function
- global categories
- group deletion requests
- featured groups
- apply for group transfer in case of inactive group manager
- apply for group moderator position
- group alerts settings
- thread prefixes
- popular groups in the last X weeks widget
- group logo
- ban from group
- group pages
- groups navigation treeview widget with filter
- main groups portal with widgets. Similar to XRGrid or by using XRgrid.
- group usertag @ groupname
So what functions would you like to see in advanced social groups functionality?