What do you do when you have TOO many people registering at once?

JABRONI

I know this sounds like a first world problem, but it's actually kind of an issue XD.

We had over 100+ sign up to our forum today, because of a contest that we're doing, and most of them have NEVER used a forum before. With this being the case, they're posting very LQ threads, most in the wrong sections, and are doing it in big numbers.

What would be the best way to go along handling this?

With this being the case, they're posting very LQ threads, most in the wrong sections, and are doing it in big numbers.
LQ threads can't really be avoided (how LQ, though? Like, Spam kind of LQ, or one sentence kind of LQ?)

Wrong sections is something I try to keep quiet - very quiet. Just move the threads to the correct forums - and if you have moderators just tell them to move the threads over to the correct forum without redirection, let them understand where to post - in their own time. Thereafter, just send them a (friendly) PM stating where to post, and point them to the rules, and whatnot - whatever you want to draw attention to. If you really want them to understand where to post - and they posted in multiple forums, and the same exact thread, same exact topic - move the duplicate to a new thread called "Don't post in the wrong places." And lock it. Every time a user makes a duplicate in another forum, move it there, and merge it in. Get the idea in front of people.

You and moderators should respond to each duplicate and explain your actions - provided, of course, you draw attention to the rules or whatever else you want to draw attention to.

What I did, also... Is something I learned from another site - Create a post explaining what each forum, each section is for - like this one.

Last edited:
IMO its best to stop trouble at the door. Add a few profile fields and only let in those who take the effort to fill in these fields.
Add a timer to the rules to increase the chance that new users will read the rules.
Make sure the rules are very clear. You could include that members should explain themselves and one liners are not allowed.
Add an addon that will show similar threads.

In the template thread_create change
placeholder="{xen: phrase thread_title}..." value="{$title}"
to:
placeholder="A good title will yield more replies..." value="{$title}"

If you have social groups then form a new members social group and let your ranking members guide new members.

Implement a reputation system so that ranking members can rate new members their post and let them know what they are doing wrong.

Add stickies and a good FAQ to clarify what is expected of members.

Add stickies and a good FAQ to clarify what is expected of members.
This, too. Yes, this. 1,000x yes.

If they don't read those stickies... You know what? See that door? Out. I don't care. Out.

The stickies are there to warn you of the rules, updated rules, new rules, whatever. If you don't read it... Not. My. Problem.

I see this often on my site, and I really don't care for those folks. They break the rule again, they're gone.

I'm looking forward to having that problem. I have a thread something like Carlos (which I need to update since I made changes) explaining what different sections of the forum are for and so on.

When things are not posted in the right area I just move them. Some times they just don't see the proper spot for the post. Move it and put a little note in it explaining why you moved it and it shouldn't be an issue.

This isn't the spot for it but if you have a thread on what contest you are running that picked you up so many new members, I would love to see it.

I hope it works out well for you.

James

I know this sounds like a first world problem, but it's actually kind of an issue XD.

We had over 100+ sign up to our forum today, because of a contest that we're doing, and most of them have NEVER used a forum before. With this being the case, they're posting very LQ threads, most in the wrong sections, and are doing it in big numbers.

What would be the best way to go along handling this?
Make your active members mods and let them help you take care of the mess.

Top Bottom