XF 2.2 What determines whether a link will generate a preview or stay a link?

jayhawku

My forum relies on sharing news and often links to news sites that sometimes generates a preview of the story:

But often, it won't generate a preview like below:

What determines if a preview will generate? I thought perhaps it was a paywall but it's not that.

Thanks!

the problem is that xenforo only fetches a small part of the page content. if the useful content is available in that part of the page, preview would most likely get generated. if not, it wouldn't. cnn, washington post and a lot of other sites have too much irrelevant code at the top of source so they do not get unfurled properly on xenforo.

The CNN payload is too large.

You can always use the test tool in the ACP to check.

View attachment 296402
Thank you. The issue for me, rather my users, is in sharing news content they would be like look what happened in Washington today and then simply drop in the link where the preview working correctly shows the headline and story. They don't need to do anymore work.

If the preview doesn't show up, it's just the link and they would have to write out what the story is and a preview themselves. Not knowing whether it makes a preview or not before posting it was the issue.

But, I understand what you're saying and why it happens. Guess if developers are reading this stuff ever it could be more a suggestion.

Thanks for the help!

Top Bottom