XF 2.0 What are the steps to reinstall and also refresh files, while keeping threads, posts, users, etc?

koa

Over the years, my forums have been cluttered, to say the least. It's been through getting hacked, exploited, it's also been through the 1.x -> 2.x upgrade, with lots of files that still remain old installations, customization, and just random folders we've created.

Now, one time we somehow got hacked, and well, this happened to a lot of files in our install:

So yeah, it's fair to say, we need to clean up our website files badly.

Even though I would absolutely LOVE to reset everything, even the forums and threads, it would hurt our SEO terribly. So I'm forced to reset but keep our important data. I just don't see how.

So, how can I delete all of our files relating to the forums, reinstall the files, but keep our database working as is?

Thanks

You can just delete all of your files, and re-upload them. Make sure you re-upload any add-on files as well.

You need to make sure that you keep the contents of the data and internal_data directories, as attachments and avatars are stored there.

You can just delete all of your files, and re-upload them. Make sure you re-upload any add-on files as well.

You need to make sure that you keep the contents of the data and internal_data directories, as attachments and avatars are stored there.

Thanks! I'm considering only keeping users, and just do an entire fresh start. What folders would I have to keep to only keep users, their settings, and avatars in placed?

Thanks! I'm considering only keeping users, and just do an entire fresh start. What folders would I have to keep to only keep users, their settings, and avatars in placed?

Users are stored in the database. All site content (except files) are stored in the database, so to keep users you'd have to either:
  • Delete all other content using the bulk deletion tools
  • Create a new XF installation and use the XF->XF importer to import the users from your old board (this is probably the quickest and easiest option)
Liam

Users are stored in the database. All site content (except files) are stored in the database, so to keep users you'd have to either:
  • Delete all other content using the bulk deletion tools
  • Create a new XF installation and use the XF->XF importer to import the users from your old board (this is probably the quickest and easiest option)
Liam

Thanks, what sort of "bulk deletion tools"?

Top Bottom