What a cute little comment to stumble upon

a legacy reborn

So I was just cleaning up some of my websites when I happened to find such a unique(not really), hilarious(definitely), and a comment filled with fail. It reads
PAYPAL PAYPAL DONATE ME MOTHER PH*****(PH?) NOW OR I WILL HACK YOUR WEBSITE – {Company Name Ltd} MY PAYPAL IS ***** – {Company Name Ltd} – PAYPAL IS ***** Payment Sent to: MY PAYPAL IS ******…
Their website is listed as(not including the site that was being used for the email associated with the PayPal account):donatenoworyourssitegone.com LUL

The title of his comment is as follows: PAYPAL PAYPAL DONATE ME NOW OR I WILL HACK YOUR WEBSITE- DON’T YOU DARE TO REPORT PAYPAL…

So now I am in quite a pickle, should I report to PayPal or should I continue to laugh? Is there anything I would have to do to report it to PayPal because I would love to ruin this person's day but don't think this would be worth any kind of actual effort on my behalf. If you don't care about reporting it to PayPal then please still comment and share your experiences with people that threatened to hack your site. I am sure that we will all get some good laughs out of it. :)

So I was just cleaning up some of my websites when I happened to find such a unique(not really), hilarious(definitely), and a comment filled with fail. It reads

Their website is listed as(not including the site that was being used for the email associated with the PayPal account):donatenoworyourssitegone.com LUL

The title of his comment is as follows: PAYPAL PAYPAL DONATE ME NOW OR I WILL HACK YOUR WEBSITE- DON’T YOU DARE TO REPORT PAYPAL…

So now I am in quite a pickle, should I report to PayPal or should I continue to laugh? Is there anything I would have to do to report it to PayPal because I would love to ruin this person's day but don't think this would be worth any kind of actual effort on my behalf. If you don't care about reporting it to PayPal then please still comment and share your experiences with people that threatened to hack your site. I am sure that we will all get some good laughs out of it. :)

domain isn't registered to anyone presently.

step 1, backup your stuff, just in case.
If you're on shared hosting: move away; so others running stupid scripts or a dumb host doesn't result in your account being compromised.
Change your administrator passwords, and do a quick audit at permissions, users in groups, etc.
Ignore the user, ban the IP at the firewall for now, and go through error.log and access.log' their history to trace back what the user might have done.
And report the email to pay pal's abuse department, include log files if they ask for it, and point PP out that the user is breaking their terms of services.

Don't give any public attention to threats like this to avoid adding wood to a fire, and be confident that if any entry was gained, they no longer have access, and if anything happens you can just update the domain to point to a new ip at a new hosting account and restore the backup.

I tend to ignore those who shout in caps only, especially if they try to blackmail me. They get a 100% ignore - but in the background I log everything as a precaution and as a preventive measure I protect myself by doing a quick audit on the software, accounts, and content.

If you run any other software like phpbb or wordpress, etc. Make sure it's eat least up to date so any known exploit scripts don't work.

And if someone does hack your site and you lose all your data, it's out of your hands anyway, report it to the police.

domain isn't registered to anyone presently.
lol, that would be an awesome domain to own, though you might have some authorities knocking on your door asking why your site is linked to thousands of times by people trying to extort money out of people or in some way threaten another with malicious activity.
step 1, backup your stuff, just in case.
If you're on shared hosting: move away; so others running stupid scripts or a dumb host doesn't result in your account being compromised.
Change your administrator passwords, and do a quick audit at permissions, users in groups, etc.
Ignore the user, ban the IP at the firewall for now, and go through error.log and access.log' their history to trace back what the user might have done.
And report the email to pay pal's abuse department, include log files if they ask for it, and point PP out that the user is breaking their terms of services.

Don't give any public attention to threats like this to avoid adding wood to a fire, and be confident that if any entry was gained, they no longer have access, and if anything happens you can just update the domain to point to a new ip at a new hosting account and restore the backup.

I tend to ignore those who shout in caps only, especially if they try to blackmail me. They get a 100% ignore - but in the background I log everything as a precaution and as a preventive measure I protect myself by doing a quick audit on the software, accounts, and content.

If you run any other software like phpbb or wordpress, etc. Make sure it's eat least up to date so any known exploit scripts don't work.

And if someone does hack your site and you lose all your data, it's out of your hands anyway, report it to the police.
I do follow the majority of what you said but currently am on shared hosting because I had to move away from VPSs as they are too expensive for me currently. I don't perceive any threat currently but I do thank you for the info on PayPal's abuse department. I honestly don't think that this guy is serious but even if he was I really would not be worried, this post was more in good humor than anything else. I will start the reporting process as soon as possible, but again I doubt this was serious and I doubt they even knew what site they were posting it on. Probably was just a bot spamming sites to see if they could get some money out of people's fear of the evil term - "hack".

I really hate extortioners. 98% of them are full of sh*t and make empty threats, but there is that rare 2%.

I'd really like to know this persons user name, e-mail address, ip address (all of them), and paypal address that was left on your site.

It would be midly entertaining for me.

lol, that would be an awesome domain to own, though you might have some authorities knocking on your door asking why your site is linked to thousands of times by people trying to extort money out of people or in some way threaten another with malicious activity.

I do follow the majority of what you said but currently am on shared hosting because I had to move away from VPSs as they are too expensive for me currently. I don't perceive any threat currently but I do thank you for the info on PayPal's abuse department. I honestly don't think that this guy is serious but even if he was I really would not be worried, this post was more in good humor than anything else. I will start the reporting process as soon as possible, but again I doubt this was serious and I doubt they even knew what site they were posting it on. Probably was just a bot spamming sites to see if they could get some money out of people's fear of the evil term - "hack".

Yep, I am on shared hosting as well, I had to get rid of my dedicated solutions and VPS accounts earlier this year. It's thankfully a temporary solution and I have done my best to converse with the guys I know at the provider to try and make it secure enough that I am comfortable with it.

It reminds me of the guy (actually turned out to be a chick) that was going to close my AdSense account unless I "invested" $1,000 each month into their magnetic power. lol http://www.shawnhogan.com/2007/03/a...because-i-didnt-invest-in-magnetic-power.html
No one needs to threaten me with that...already happened lol. Google...

I really hate extortioners. 98% of them are full of sh*t and make empty threats, but there is that rare 2%.

I'd really like to know this persons user name, e-mail address, ip address (all of them), and paypal address that was left on your site.

It would be midly entertaining for me.

I could handle it myself but I really don't want to start anything. He/she/cyborg/alien is not worth it and I really don't feel like disclosing the info of any of my users, regardless of whether they are on my network with good intent or not.

Ahh the wonders of the miracle magnetic generators, supposedly they were going to free us from greedy energy companies and petrol based cars.....;)

I myself had some bizarre threats in my time, one guy who kept emailing me over and over, definetely had a screw loose somewhere.

I said I would report him to his ISP if he kept emailing me threats, at which point, he said he WAS the ISP.

The security tech guy at his ISP was quite amused at his claims and his net was cut off within the week, never did hear from him again.

Ahh the wonders of the miracle magnetic generators, supposedly they were going to free us from greedy energy companies and petrol based cars.....;)

I myself had some bizarre threats in my time, one guy who kept emailing me over and over, definetely had a screw loose somewhere.

I said I would report him to his ISP if he kept emailing me threats, at which point, he said he WAS the ISP.

The security tech guy at his ISP was quite amused at his claims and his net was cut off within the week, never did hear from him again.
LOL

"I will report you to your ISP if you don't stop harassing me"

"I AM MY ISP!"

lol...mental images of some lunatic creaming that make my chuckle.

Ah yea, I kept records in our staff area, I forgot he first threatened to steal my domain:

Email title - Your registry

Email - I am looking at the expiration date.

Would it be cool if I aguired uoforums.com DNS registry?

be afraid...very afraid

"Just remember this email you sent me when I aquire the DNS."

"godaddy.com has your dns registry untill 2011. I have already set myself up to aquire the domain when the registration ends for you et all."

" Yes but, if you ever lapse it is mine."

"I wish I could have put this all in one email but....

Godaddy is not a very secure way of perpetuating a domain. Godaddy is a fly-by-night company.
Good luck in your future endeavors."

"Heh, I own the ISP. Report me all you want! LoL"

" Proxies for the win"

After I sent off the emails to the ISP, they wrote back with
Quote:
"It has been handled. I don't think you will hear from him again.

Kent"
But not 30 minutes later, I had another email from him, which said
Quote:
I assume you have talkede to my "ISP" by now.

See, I can do whatever I want.
One thing I do know, his IP was the same in all his emails, so i'm guessing his...."Proxies for the win", weren't working

lol.

I received an email from a similiar community site who had the same problems with him, they said:
By the way, regarding the xxxxxxguy you warned us about, it turns out that this also happens to be the same guy (xxxxx) that has been making some real-life threats to my staff, i.e. saying that he is going to track us down in the real world by our IP's and kick the !!!! out of us.

Needless to say, I would recommend ceasing ALL contact with the guy.
We have decided that we will no longer contact him by e-mail, ICQ, or otherwise any longer.
He is clearly very unstable and you shouldn't expose any of your personal information (including information found on your e-mails) to him.
You may even want to consider contacting local law enforcement if he refuses to stop....Anyway, just letting you know that we definitely need to be careful with this one...

By the way, regarding the xxxxxxguy you warned us about, it turns out that this also happens to be the same guy (xxxxx) that has been making some real-life threats to my staff, i.e. saying that he is going to track us down in the real world by our IP's and kick the !!!! out of us.

Needless to say, I would recommend ceasing ALL contact with the guy.
We have decided that we will no longer contact him by e-mail, ICQ, or otherwise any longer.
He is clearly very unstable and you shouldn't expose any of your personal information (including information found on your e-mails) to him.
You may even want to consider contacting local law enforcement if he refuses to stop....Anyway, just letting you know that we definitely need to be careful with this one...

Well that doesn't sound good, I would take that advice on-board and cease entertaining the person in future altogether.

Oh yea, this was a few years ago now, heh
It's the only instance which springs to mind where someone was really obsessive.

Top Bottom