Well-Established IPB, wondering about XF.

Draike

http://forum.bettercraft.net

I have had a lot of effort put into the website, and the main things I need to know are:

1) Skins. How difficult will it be for the skin author (Staff member) to adjust the IPB skin to match an XF theme?

2) IP.Nexus. It's my main source of revenue; I will need something very much like it in order to switch. You can find it at forum.bettercraft.net/store - I mostly need support for recurring payments via Paypal, as well as the option to change user's group upon successful purchase.

It's not about being similar; the skin is maintained by a staff member. I'm just wondering how difficult it would be to adapt my existing skin to work with XF, as that would be part of the process.

Have you requested a demo? - http://xenforo.com/demo/ - Presumably you and your staff member will be able to have a look "under the bonnet" and judge for yourselves what you think to the template/styling system. Maybe tweak the layout a bit and get a feel for it? Give you an idea of how much work you think might be involved.

Personally I prefer XF's styling setup it to IP.Board (I was on 3.1.4 and it might have changed since then), if only for the simplicity of managing it and the fact that the basic elements are all labelled and easier to edit.

I paid around $700 for two IPB suite skins. I did my XF skin myself over a few nights. (y)

http://forum.bettercraft.net

I have had a lot of effort put into the website, and the main things I need to know are:

1) Skins. How difficult will it be for the skin author (Staff member) to adjust the IPB skin to match an XF theme?

2) IP.Nexus. It's my main source of revenue; I will need something very much like it in order to switch. You can find it at forum.bettercraft.net/store - I mostly need support for recurring payments via Paypal, as well as the option to change user's group upon successful purchase.

1) XenForo is A LOT more easier to skin. So you shouldn't have to much of a learning curve.

2) XenForo already has an payment system which supports what you're seeking for user groups and permissions. Paypal supported of course. Although it is not designed to sell products, but development is on going.

Bonus:

Friendlier and more affective support
Friendier and more affective community
Very user friendly
Uses less resources .... A lot less. Even with 80 modifcations installed... I'm using no where close to the resources the standard stock install of IPB used with nothing added.

Xenforo styling system in short is easier to style, easier to maintain through upgrades and looking at your style I could quite easily say that if I was inclined to do so could create a similar style in a 1 day without making 1 template edit and throwing everything in the extra.css template. Upgrade style time during xenforo upgrades - no more than 2 minutes.

Every upgrade xenforo releases it's not taking me longer than several minutes to update my style.

The styling system is far superior to that of IPB. If you can style IPB (or your staff member can) He/she will have no trouble styling xenforo.

Top Bottom