Weird Issue

gmaister22

I have a category named News and Announcements. I have changed the permissions for registered users so they can only new the topics and thread, and that works :)

Now when i am changing Administrator's permissions and click ALLOW to all it won't let me start a new topic
confused.png

I am logged as admins and
It shows:
(You have insufficient privileges to post here.)

Well, it works a bit differently. Any permission that you "deny" cannot be granted using allow or any other permission combination. So use it sparingly.

You can read the thread I linked above on how the permission system works.

Personally I find it far more intuitive to make nodes private, then explicitly allow.

Seems much cleaner to me, at least for nodes that require special permissions.

Are your Administrators also in the Registered Users group either as Primary or Secondary?

Just click on the node permissions for the node in question, click on the Registered user group and set Post new thread and Post replies to Revoke.

Once you understand the permissions system it really is very simple.
Permissions are cumulative so you just keep adding members to other (secondary) groups with different permissions.

Just set your registered usergroup for the basic board wide permissions you want all users to have.
Then for all secondary groups, change the permissions accordingly.

For node specific permissions such as announcement forums etc., just revoke the posting permissions for the registered user group and allow it for the groups who are allowed to post.

I have nodes set up exactly like this on my forum and it takes 2 clicks to stop registered users from posting in them but allow administrators to post.

Top Bottom