Web Design Trends 2015

Quite a boring article IMHO. These types of articles always seem to predict the wrong things.
They're usually right, but only because the same predictions are true for the previous year or already occurring towards the end of the year.

Anything relating to design, development, marketing or business from TNW is just stating the obvious and trying to click bait.

I seem to find plenty of sites that flow. They don't end and you don't have to go to another page to view different information. I like that kind of website. I can't think of the name though.

I seem to find plenty of sites that flow. They don't end and you don't have to go to another page to view different information. I like that kind of website. I can't think of the name though.
Parallax scrolling; it works for informational, promotional or portfolio sites, but for most other sites it should be avoided.

1. Longer scrolling sites

This has been a growing trend since mid-to-late 2012. Also 'longer' scrolling sites are more tedious if there is no way to select a specific section :rolleyes:.

2. Storytelling and interaction

This is definitely not a new trend... It's something that some of the most well-known web designers have been talking about for years. A List Apart has articles as far back as 2000 about using storytelling as a way to provide better content.

3. Absence of large header background images

This is actually part of the following trend, and even then conflicts with the 6th trend. It all depends on the site and what the focus is. For example, it is entirely possible to have a minimal site with a graphical header, especially if it pertains to the pages content. A good example would be a food or recipe blog that uses a high-quality picture of the recipe.

4. Removing non-essential design elements in favor of simplicity

TNW is about 15 years late as minimalism has been an on-going trend for since at least 2000.

5. Fix width centered site layout

Again, this is ridiculously outdated... The majority of sites you visit are likely centered fixed width.

6. Professional high-quality custom photography

Another trend that has been around since at least 2012; it'll probably become a larger trend as the issues with responsive images are addressed.

7. Flyout/slideout app-like menus

Another trend from at least 2012-2013 (maybe even before). It's a common method with responsive/adaptive design.

8. Hidden main menus

Same as the previous trend.

9. Very large typography

Been common for years in part due to the larger support for webfonts, and the different methods for delivering them (TypeKit, Google WebFonts etc).

10. Performance and speed

This is not a trend. This is common sense.

This is one of the articles that kind of helped me with my choice to unsubscribe to TNW. Many of their titles are just re-hashed and lack any real content or value, or they're outright clickbait or trolling for views and impressions.

Top Bottom