We Love the Eighties

I’d double down on images of the 80s.

The images on the forum home are great.

After the forum statistics put 80 of the most iconic images.
That’s why showcasing your forum on sites like these are great. Receiving critique from other forum owners is great for ideas. Think you for the advice. My forum is still a work in progress.

We Love the Eighties

I’m a big fan of the eighties and now that I have lots of free time on my hands so I decided to dedicate a forum for it. It was up and running back in 2020 but due to a lack of three time I had closed It But it’s back up and running.
Nice forum and great retro design, but it's slow as heck, borderline unuseable for me. I suggest upgrading your hosting to something more powerful if you can.

Nice forum and great retro design, but it's slow as heck, borderline unuseable for me. I suggest upgrading your hosting to something more powerful if you can.
That’s strange. I rarely experience any lag and my host is great. Can’t go wrong with Knownhost‘s VPS.

That’s strange. I rarely experience any lag and my host is great. Can’t go wrong with Knownhost‘s VPS.
Maybe it's location somehow? I'm in the UK.

For example, refreshing the home page causes the background picture at the top to take several seconds to show up after a long delay of nothing happening. Other images literally load slowly, you can see them unfolding downwards. It's not just the pictures though, but the whole forum responsiveness that's sluggish.

Does this not happen when you browse the site?

Please note that I'm otherwise quite the fan of your site as I grew up in the 80s, hence can relate and would like to join. For example, this has to be one of the best tracks of the decade:

I don't know anyone who doesn't like it.

Maybe it's location somehow? I'm in the UK.

For example, refreshing the home page causes the background picture at the top to take several seconds to show up after a long delay of nothing happening. Other images literally load slowly, you can see them unfolding downwards. It's not just the pictures though, but the whole forum responsiveness that's sluggish.

Does this not happen when you browse the site?

Please note that I'm otherwise quite the fan of your site as I grew up in the 80s, hence can relate and would like to join. For example, this has to be one of the best tracks of the decade:

I don't know anyone who doesn't like it.
Im in a conversation with knownhost about possible slow speed. Overall they say the speed is good but using a cdn for my images would increase the speed even better. Other than that I can’t replicate your problem and my other users haven’t said anything about performance lag. I have no idea why you experienced that.
Thats a great song. I have it on my 80’s playlist.

It's strange that, because everything else loads quickly, so my internet connection is good.

If you compare the responsiveness of my forum, how does it compare to yours from your perspective?

Very slow for me in the UK too. The images take a lifetime to load. The theme is stunning though!

Very slow for me in the UK too. The images take a lifetime to load. The theme is stunning though!
According to cloudflare speed test in London I scored a 93. I’m baffled as to why it’s slow for you too. I don’t know how accurate their test is mind you. For me I rarely experience and slow loading times. I’ll have to look into it more.

IMG_0246.webp

@Peterpapas76 I've just tried your site now: it's loading much more quickly and is very useable. Waddya do to fix it? :)

Gonna check it out now...
So after reading your post about how long it took to load I signed up with cloudflare. That helped a bit and I removed three widgets that displayed movies, tv and video games. That seemed to fix the issue thankfully. The thing is that I didn’t experience lag so I assumed it was maybe a country thing until one of my coworkers visited the forum and he told me it lagged for him too. I got on it right away.

If you’re like me and don’t know a thing about designing you should really check out Russ from PixelExit.com. I bought Bobs Articles add on and hired Russ once again who customized it and turmed it into my forum’s homepage. For now I’m done customizing. Now that I have quite a few articles on the forum I could start emphasizing on SEO and start to slowly advertise.

I'll second that Russ is excellent and well worth doing business with, from my own experience - a very well deserved reputation. :)

Top Bottom