Way to upgrade to 2.0

AndreaMarucci

Hello, just some thought about upgrading to 2.0

I imagine that the big problems will be the addon where I must to be sure that they're compatible with 2.0 so I'll have to ask to the developer, and that's not a problem if there's a developer and it's not vanished.

If I can't ask to the devloper and I'm not sure if one addon is compatible and I'll upgrade, what will happen? The whole installation will crash or XF2 simply can tell me that the addon xyz is not compatible so it'll be disabled? Or there's any other way to make everything work but that addon?

Thank you!

If I can't ask to the devloper and I'm not sure if one addon is compatible and I'll upgrade, what will happen? The whole installation will crash or XF2 simply can tell me that the addon xyz is not compatible so it'll be disabled? Or there's any other way to make everything work but that addon?

During the upgrade, old addons will be disabled and marked "as legacy". When the addon author releases an XF2 compatible version you will upgrade the addon like normal also. No need to remove them prior to the XF2 upgrade.

No need to remove them prior to the XF2 upgrade.
I would probably want to remove the old addons files and folders. Presumably not necessary but I just don't like the idea of guff sitting around on the server.

Or, easiest if possibly, before uploading xf2 could we just delete everything to do with xf1 (inc folders where addons are such as library, styles) ?

Wow, deleting everything is difficult to do since I don't remember the /library/foldername associated with every addon. I've surely removed some old addon I don't use anymore but I've never deleted the associated folder in Library since I don't know how to be sure to delete the right one.

My only doubt is about having an addon that no one know if it's compatible or not. What will happen if I enable that addon and it's not compatible?

I'm sure deleting folders is not necessary, just that I'm a bit OCD and it seems tidier to do so.

No xf1 addons will be compatible (I think ???) so there is no decision to make about that

In other words it will be up to the addon dev to create a dedicated xf2 version, not just a compatible upgrade (and xf2 addons will not work with xf1)

Last edited:
I think XF2 definantly confirms/exasperates the need for an 'orphaned' files/dir add-on. One that tells you directories and or files in your library|js|styles paths that doesn't match to any addons (disabled or active).

Can someone confirm that? For sure all the XF1.5 addons will not be compatible?
Theoretically there could be some very simple XF 1.5 Add-ons that, if already installed, would still be compatible with XF 2 - the attached Add-on is such an example.
But if it would be possible to re-enable such a legacy add-on after an upgrade to XF2 is yet unknown to the community as no XF 2 version that allows upgrades from XF 1.5 has been released so far.

Attachments

Wow, deleting everything is difficult to do since I don't remember the /library/foldername associated with every addon.
You can download the zip file for each add-on (if you don't have them) and then unzip them on your computer. From that you can identify the specific folders associated with that add-on and then delete the corresponding ones from the server.

Curious,
If i was to upgrade to version 2.0.0, can I then upgrade?

Eg I use v2.0.1 (random version) and v2.0.2 comes out, can I upgrade as usual?

I want to use for an upcoming site

You can download the zip file for each add-on (if you don't have them) and then unzip them on your computer. From that you can identify the specific folders associated with that add-on and then delete the corresponding ones from the server.

Provided you can still download. You might not if the addon is discontinued or your licence ran out.

I would probably want to remove the old addons files and folders. Presumably not necessary but I just don't like the idea of guff sitting around on the server.

Or, easiest if possibly, before uploading xf2 could we just delete everything to do with xf1 (inc folders where addons are such as library, styles) ?

If that is how you want to upgrade then that is down to you as a site owner.

Also consider addons for XF2 will be in the /src/addons folder opposed to a library folder.

addons for XF2 will be in the /src/addons folder
This could be good so maybe the upgrade script will copy over just the active addon from the library folder.

In any case, since I don't have copy of all the addons I'll focus on the addons I can't live without and I'll wait for them to be available for 2.0 and since many of them are from @AndyB I hope he'll have some plans for them :-)

This could be good so maybe the upgrade script will copy over just the active addon from the library folder.

I don't think it's that simple

In any case, since I don't have copy of all the addons I'll focus on the addons I can't live without and I'll wait for them to be available for 2.0 and since many of them are from @AndyB I hope he'll have some plans for them :)

This is what I will be doing. And the good news is Andy has been working on developing his addons for xf2.

I know I'm OT but I loved this exchange

Hindsight is wonderful isn't it? :)
Foresight is even better :)

but since english is not my mother language I've not fully understood, just trying to guess, the meaning of these. Can someone explain me better? I'm just curious and I'm working to improve my english :-)

Top Bottom