Watch Thread Email Subscription Frequency

Sadik B

Hi Guys,

When you subscribe to a thread in xenforo, You can choose between getting alerts only (using the notifcation system) or getting emails as well.

Now with the emails turned out, you get an email each time there's an update in the thread. Now, vbulletin had the same email notification system. But on vbulletin the way it worked as that if person A posts a reply in a thread, you get an email update. Meanwhile, if you don't visit the forum, and person B/C/D post a reply in the thread, then you wouldn't get an email about that.

Basically you'd only get one update as long as you don't visit the forum. With xenforo, it seems you get an email every single time somebody posts a reply in a thread you signed up to. The result: Members email box get filled with emails.

Am I understanding this right and if so, is there any existing way to ensure that members get only one email to watched threads, so long as they haven't visited the site?

Basically you'd only get one update as long as you don't visit the forum. With xenforo, it seems you get an email every single time somebody posts a reply in a thread you signed up to.

No it doesn't.

XenForo_Model_ThreadWatch::sendNotificationToWatchUsersOnReply

Code:
			if (!$previousPost || $previousPost['post_date'] < $autoReadDate)
			{
				// always alert
			}
			else if ($previousPost['post_date'] > $user['thread_read_date'])
			{
				// user hasn't read the thread since the last alert, don't send another one
				continue;
			}

Unless perhaps your auto read time is very low which could potentially send out emails as often as that interval:

Admin CP -> Home -> Options -> Threads, Discussions and Conversations -> Read Marking Data Lifetime

Jake - let me know if there's a better answer for this question but I"m going to ask the other side of this question. We have forums where users want notifications for every post for watched threads and forums (via plugin) - whether they've visited the board or not. This is counter to what bigger boards want but our board is a corporate board and the email volume isn't an issue for us.

Based on what you've posted here it looks like I could modify the code to skip that "have visited" check and just send the notification, but I thought I might ask if there's a better way to do that. any thoughts? Sorry if this has been answered before but after some searching I couldn't find a thread that answered this directly.

Jake - let me know if there's a better answer for this question but I"m going to ask the other side of this question. We have forums where users want notifications for every post for watched threads and forums (via plugin) - whether they've visited the board or not. This is counter to what bigger boards want but our board is a corporate board and the email volume isn't an issue for us.

Based on what you've posted here it looks like I could modify the code to skip that "have visited" check and just send the notification, but I thought I might ask if there's a better way to do that. any thoughts? Sorry if this has been answered before but after some searching I couldn't find a thread that answered this directly.

I think this addon does that:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/bd-forum-watch.660/

Top Bottom