Warning Regarding Current PayPal Reversals

Actually, PayPal will side with the seller on non-physical goods. I have yet to lose a dispute related to digital goods or services.

Check PayPal Buyer Protection policies here:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/buyer-protection

Basically if they file an unwarranted dispute, the buyer has to make false claims to even start the dispute since it's only allowed for physical goods... like they say they bought it on eBay or has missing parts or whatever else...

I just have a copy/paste response that more or less always ends the dispute in our favor...

PayPal reads that, and the dispute is over.

We *have* given refunds when it was warranted for whatever reason, but for the ones trying to scam us with disputes, they always fail.

It *DOESN'T* help with credit card chargebacks though, that's out of PayPal's control... so if you want to do away with those, just don't allow credit cards as a funding source.

I've tried this excuse in the past and it doesn't work

In the past couple of months they've gone one step further and removed the 'other' option for responding to a claim. Now you can only choose between providing proof of physical delivery, refunding without contest or not responding.

Is there some checkout flag I should be setting to mark the goods as non-physical?

I'm not doing anything special other than using the API as intended... if something is a service or digital good, it's marked as such when we are setting up the transaction. No idea if that has something to do with it or not since that's how we've always done it (so nothing to compare it to).

Top Bottom