Voice and Video Messages [Deleted]

TMA

TMA submitted a new resource:

Mobile Video Uploads - Let your members post videos from their phones and level the field with social media.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Let your members post videos from their phones and level the field with social media.

Make your forum stand out so visitors stick, sign up, and keep coming back for more.

Get a SEO boost and reach a wider audience with linkbacks from the uploaded [COLOR=rgb(255, 0...[/CENTER]​

Last edited:
This add-on scales well as it has no database, storage, bandwidth, or performance impact.
Please clarify how that can be possible, every Add-on has an impact.

Especially I'd be interested to know how the upload workflow is designed, does the video directly get uploaded to YouTube?
If so, how dou you protect YouTube API credentials?
What about legal responsibilties of the board owner related to the uploaded content (assuming that videos do get uploaded to an account held by the board owner)?
How is this compatible with GDPR requirements?

The workflow is identical to what you saw in the video, except for the first time a user uploads, they have to grant consent/access to their YouTube account in the popup screen that was blank and disappeared in said video.

This access is passed to the forum's backend but the access credentials are never stored. This is possible because YouTube itself maintains the access credentials, not the forum. This login flow does not expose secret credentials or keys.

As for legal responsibilities, every video is hosted on the YouTube account of the member, not the board owner, but it does link back to the forum post for SEO. We do not process or store end-user personal data, so GPDR is not applicable.

Last edited:
Hmmm ...

This access is passed to the forum's backend but the access credentials are never stored
So you are sotring some kind of identifier for the users YouTube account on the forum?
If this, GDPR applies as this identifier allows to relate to the user.

Furthermore, as far as I can see there is no indication at all that clicking on "Post new Video" will transfer the user to YouTube (which does transmit PII to YouTube, specifically at least the IP-Address) so this would most likely require the use to give prior consent under GDPR before this action can be performed?

This really needs a working demo. I too am interested. Is there a third party hop involved for oauth exchange or is it strictly member to google api? What's the experience if user doesn't have a Google account?

Looks really promising!

Is there a post new video button by the regular reply box?

The example in the video looks like it starts a new thread, but there’s no option to edit the title, so it seems to be auto generated. Is there a way the user can define the thread title in that instance?

Is there an option where the user can simply upload and it goes direct to the admins forum account as an unlisted video, so the user doesn’t need a YouTube account? Just a forum account, then its only available to view through the forum link and no where else.

Does the video get compressed at all before uploading?

Will the video work immediately if the post goes live before YouTube has had a chance to finish version transcoding?

So you are sotring some kind of identifier for the users YouTube account on the forum?
No, there is no storage of the access credentials.
Furthermore, as far as I can see there is no indication at all that clicking on "Post new Video" will transfer the user to YouTube (which does transmit PII to YouTube, specifically at least the IP-Address)
The same can be said if you are using any external analytics, jQuery, etc. This does not appear to be a problem, but if it is a strong concern for you as a forum owner, consult with an attorney.
This really needs a working demo. I too am interested. Is there a third party hop involved for oauth exchange or is it strictly member to google api? What's the experience if user doesn't have a Google account?
No, it's direct to Google's API. If they don't have a Google account, they can make one, and if they have a Google account but have not signed up for YouTube, they are prompted and then redirected to the YouTube signup page.

If you want a demo, send a PM and will provide credentials next week.
Is there a post new video button by the regular reply box?
Only at the top of the page.
Does the video get compressed at all before uploading?
On iOS, yes; not sure for Android.
Will the video work immediately if the post goes live before YouTube has had a chance to finish version transcoding?
It works approximately 10 seconds after the upload. This is why in the demo videos, the video does not show a preview image.

No, there is no storage of the access credentials.

The same can be said if you are using any external analytics, jQuery, etc. This does not appear to be a problem, but if it is a strong concern for you as a forum owner, consult with an attorney.

No, it's direct to Google's API. If they don't have a Google account, they can make one, and if they have a Google account but have not signed up for YouTube, they are prompted and then redirected to the YouTube signup page.

If you want a demo, send a PM and will provide credentials next week.

Only at the top of the page.

On iOS, yes; not sure for Android.

It works approximately 10 seconds after the upload. This is why in the demo videos, the video does not show a preview image.

Thanks for the explanations. Looks very promising. Looking at your video it looks like Post New Video creates a thread? How does that work as that part is missing in the video... Does user have an option to set thread title and first post content?

I also think you should add the button as a reply to an existing thread.

I also think you should add the button as a reply to an existing thread.
This is already the current functionality; the buttons look the same but the one on the thread page posts a video reply.
Does user have an option to set thread title and first post content?
The intention of the current design is to let members post video threads/replies with the least amount of steps, so there is not an option to set a title and first post content ahead of time; the thread/replies' title and description can be edited after the upload.

Maybe it would be desirable to automatically redirect to the editor page after posting.

Last edited:
This is already the current functionality; the buttons look the same but the one on the thread page posts a video reply.

The intention of the current design is to let members post video threads/replies with the least amount of steps, so there is not an option to set a title and first post content ahead of time; the thread/replies' title and description can be edited after the upload.

Maybe it would be desirable to automatically redirect to the editor page after posting.

I think a redirect would suffice. What does thread title default to now? Video filename?

The flow has just been changed to end at the title textbox and it really is a big improvement :)

The demo video has been updated; new thread titles used to default to mobile filename gibberish so that has been changed too.

Anyone installed this or is there a demo site working?

Seconded. I'd like to see the user experience for first time uploaders which the video doesn't show. If it checks out will definitely get this.

Also are there any user group permissions and/or node permissions to enable/disable video uploads? Screenshot of ACP would be good to check out options.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll do that when I know I've got a solid day or evening to test it out, although it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to set up a demo board yourself for people to try it on.

Any thoughts on an option to allow the admin to link a single Forum YouTube account to the system so that members don't need to link their own YouTube?

On a small site I have I'd be happy to have all videos uploaded directly to that, as it would make the whole user experience better for everyone else on the forum, especially if they don't have or don't want to create a youtube account.

Also, are all video uploaded classified as unlisted by default? Or do they go public on the users YouTube channel?

Any thoughts on an option to allow the admin to link a single Forum YouTube account to the system so that members don't need to link their own YouTube?
Your method has a few complications. First, you'd have to expose your API key. Then, you'd burden the server with large uploads. Third, members could breach YouTube terms in their uploads and get YOU banned!

The current way is the simplest and safest for everyone involved.
Also, are all video uploaded classified as unlisted by default? Or do they go public on the users YouTube channel?
All are public, this is desirable for SEO purposes. Down the line if it becomes a need it can be looked at to choose default visibility.

Top Bottom