Viglink / Skimlinks - do you disclose to your membership?

CTXMedia

Just wondering, for those that use Viglink / Skimlinks, do you tell your membership that you have it installed at your site?

I haven't, as yet, and am enjoying a good return with Viglink in the short time I've been using it - but I'm wondering whether I ought to disclose it's use so that I'm not "exposed" for any percieved, underhand link hijacking (we know it isn't, but people can often jump to the wrong conclusions).

Cheers,
Shaun :D

I have nothing to hide, and have always done full disclosure to our visitors if they ask. And I also really like a non intrusive browsing experience. I am using Skimlinks but not telling, especially since it's a trial, and to figure out how we want it in XenForo, how we do NOT want it, where we want it to act how (and not). And what I expect a skimlinks plugin should have. Once we decide a) to use a xenforo plugin, and b) to actually use it for it's commercial ends, we will update our terms of services and include a mention who what where and when we're using skimlinks. The same with google ads, they have a required mention, once we start using google ads we will include that as well.

If users don't understand they can ask for clarification. And if they don't like how we run the site they're free to discontinue using it. I find skimlinks to be non-intrusive and in return we offer enough more exposed options for users on our site to make money, or advertise themselves much more publicly; such as the promoted add-on I wrote for the sidebar or paying people to write articles for us.

Anyway, I find it no problem that people provide feedback on my site about what we do and how. (Well, constructive feedback).

Just wondering, for those that use Viglink / Skimlinks, do you tell your membership that you have it installed at your site?

I haven't, as yet, and am enjoying a good return with Viglink in the short time I've been using it - but I'm wondering whether I ought to disclose it's use so that I'm not "exposed" for any percieved, underhand link hijacking (we know it isn't, but people can often jump to the wrong conclusions).

Cheers,
Shaun :D
Hey Shaun,
We find it really depends on your community: we find some forums have communities that react really well when they disclose opening, with community members agreeing its a unobtrusive form of monetization for the site; and others (generally very technical audiences) react better when there is disclosure. There often is a vocal minority who complain, but they are also often the people that also run ad-blockers on your display ads. I would definitely encourage at least informing your moderators so they can answer questions when they pop up.
Good luck!
Alicia
CEO - Skimlinks

I have nothing to hide, and have always done full disclosure to our visitors if they ask. And I also really like a non intrusive browsing experience.
Same here. So far no one has asked.
My members know I am trying to monetize the site.
They live in a real world where things cost money.

Since the topic is Viglink / Skimlinks - do you disclose to your membership?
Wouldn't this be better to be split into it's own thread?
Maybe Skimlinks needs it's own thread entirely?

They live in a real world where things cost money.
Try telling that to the occasional 'know-it-all' who says "why are you charging for subscriptions, you can get hosting for $5 a month"!

My usual reply is along the lines of "you get what you pay for", but it is surprising how many people want everything on the Internet for free and don't see why it shouldn't be. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom