XF 1.2 Very Strange Upgrade Issue

The Sandman

OK, so I wanted a test forum for adminextra.com so I could do a test upgrade to XF 1.2. Then I had my host create a new account on my server with the adminextra.org domain and populate it with a backup of adminextra.com so it would be a duplicate to the main forum.

Of course, there were a few issues I had to fix in order to get the test site to function properly - changing the config.php and .htaccess files and the forum url in the AdminCP for example. When I was done I was able to access both sites and both forums functioned properly and independently.

Then I went to upgrade the test site to XF 1.2 - uploaded the files to adminextra.org, ran the install script - everything went as it should - no problems at all. Except...

... for some inexplicable reason, adminextra.com started upgrading as well - which was completely unwanted behavior not to mention the fact that I hadn't uploaded the XF 1.2 files to adminextra.com. The forum running on adminextra.com (yeah, the live site) didn't auto-close - just looked wonky and had an upgrading notice showing. Then it got stuck. I went to the AdminCP - even wonkier looking, but there was something there telling me to complete the upgrade so I pushed the button - taken to the install/upgrade script but was told that I was already running 1.1.5 so no upgrade available (since I hadn't uploaded the 1.2 files). So, I then uploaded the 1.2 files to adminextra.com and ran the install/upgrade script again. I was surprised that it ran, but it wasn't normal - I had to manually hit the continue button every time it stopped. It did run through to the end though, and for the most part everything was OK.

Except of course for 2 things - now I have to scramble to make everything work on a live site with a custom skin and multiple addons after an unplanned (accidental even) upgrade - but at least the site is up and running. But more important - I have no idea why running the upgrade on adminextra.org triggered the upgrade on adminextra.com. I spoke with my host at length and they did a bunch of investigating - they say the two sites appear to be completely separate and see no reason for the cross site scripting or whatever you call it and blame it on the XenForo install script. They need to know if there's anything in the script that could cause this. In the meantime, they're gonna monitor both sites when I do the next upgrade to adminextra.org to see if/how it affects adminextra.com.

So, any ideas?

Were you using a data cache on AdminExtra? (xCache, APC, memcache). If so, did you forget to remove the prefix in the config file for the data cache?

That's a very interesting question - I am running XCache on my server, but the original owner of adminextra had a completely different setup configured. It seemed to work on my server, so I left it be. It did have a prefix in it - guess I'd better go change it to a unique one for adminextra.org. Do I have to go back and do anything else to prevent further problems?

Thanks! :)

If you had the same prefix for AdminExtra.com and AdminExtra.org for xCache data cache, it could cause the exact problem that you described.

They did have the same prefix as the site was basically mirrored into the new account. It never occurred to me to change the cache prefix. Does the data already in the cache need to be cleared or did changing the prefix to a unique one fix everything?

Here's my cache configuration BTW. It's from the original owner who wasn't running XCache. As I said above it seems to be working on my server, but does it need to be changed to be optimal on mine?

PHP:
$config['cache']['enabled'] = true;
$config['cache']['frontend'] = 'Core';
$config['cache']['frontendOptions']['cache_id_prefix'] = 'xf2_';

$config['cache']['backend'] = 'Memcached';
$config['cache']['backendOptions'] = array(
    'compression' => false,
    'servers' => array(
        array(
            // your memcached server IP /address
            'host' => 'localhost',

// memcached port
            'port' => 11211,
        )
    )
);
$config['cache']['backend'] = 'File';

The prefix is now unique (xf2_ and xf_ ). However, on further inspection I don't believe memcached is installed on my server. Should I have it installed and leave the configuration be, or don't install it and change the configuration?

The prefix is now unique (xf2_ and xf_ ). However, on further inspection I don't believe memcached is installed on my server. Should I have it installed and leave the configuration be, or don't install it and change the configuration?

If you are using xcache just use the xcache data cache:

PHP:
$config['cache'] = array(
    'enabled' => true,
    'frontend' => 'Core',
    'frontendOptions' => array(
            'caching' => true,
            'automatic_serialization' => false,
            'cache_id_prefix' => 'you_prefix_',
            'lifetime' => 18000
    ),
    'backend' => 'Xcache',
    'backendOptions' => array(),
    'cacheSessions' => true
);

I'm not sure why it isn't throwing you an error if you don't have Memcached installed though.

Where would I see the error. When I look at my preselected options in the upgradeapache in WHM, memcached isn't checked. And if I look thorough my PHP info it's not listed anywhere.

Anyhow, I rejiggered both of my config.php files as you recommended and all seems well.

Thanks again!

Top Bottom