Very strange phone call from a scammer

TBH, I would say the first red flag would be that someone claiming to know your computer has a virus. I can relate though, if they had called me on a bad day, I might have fallen for it, but once I had gotten a minute to think I would have seen through it.

And I think Microsoft have enough self respect to pay indians who can speak with an American accent, at leas that what they had last time I had to call them.

TBH, I would say the first red flag would be that someone claiming to know your computer has a virus.

Well to be fair, I should correct myself there on what I said above. They said it's been detected your computer is "infected". They never actually said Virus, but the word means pretty much the same thing.

Well to be fair, I should correct myself there on what I said above. They said it's been detected your computer is "infected". They never actually said Virus, but the word means pretty much the same thing.
Yeah, but I would have been angry if they said that. I would have demanded to know how the .... they could know that, and what kind of spyware they had installed on my computer.. Even worse, how could they possibly have my phone number.

Because when I bought Windows XP from PC shop in Bolton they took details if I remember to register it there and then to you. Address and phone number e.t.c. Many years ago now, but I'm sure SCAN in Bolton did that at the time and was required when buying Windows O/S from them.

I have bought both XP and Vista online, but I still would have been curious about it. As far as I am concerned, they would have done illegal surveillance of me, as they obviously had monitored my computer, and were able to connect that data to a phone number and a name. That would have worried me more, to think if they had checked out my p...., ehhh, browsing habbits :rolleyes:

There is the red flag. Microsoft doesn't support Windows, even when you do call.

Which is what they said on the phone in the conversation. That they deal with Windows Support and not Microsoft, that came up during the chat when asking if they was calling from MS. That's how they more or less skipped around the question asked by me.

But then I'm no MS expert on the matter. I have no idea who supports Windows on phone calls, MS themselves phoning you or someone else dealing with it on their behalf? All I know, is that I download MS Updates for XP from their website?

Top Bottom