Very much LOST

tomatoman

To be honest, after coming to this site and spending some time looking around I feel like someone with a Grade 2 education that just stumbled into a MENSA meeting.

At age 67, I'm no stranger to computers, the internet or on-line forums. However, as someone who would now like to start up a forum of his own, I have a ton of questions. I have no experience in running a forum other than acting as a Mod on one site. Therefore, all of the terminology used on this site is akin to trying to decipher a long, dead language. This is not to say that I am incapable of learning but I don't know where to begin.

I'd like to purchase the current version of the software with a view to putting my site together but I'm wondering just how steep the learning curve will be. In addition, I realize that buying the XF BETA version is simply a single step in the process of ending up on-line with my project. It would be nice if I had a much clearer understanding as to what the first step would be and then the steps that must follow to ultimately reach my goal. Of course, there is also the issue of initial costs as well as ongoing costs and once again, I have no clue about those either.Disclosure on that aspect would be most welcome too.

Perhaps I am asking a lot. I don't know. However, if I don't ask..... I'll never know...... so here I am.......looking for all the assistance that forum members and XF staff are willing to provide. I thank you for your anticipated assistance.

If someone just searches for generic garden tractor info, then I doubt that they would ever find my site because I'm focused on those marques exclusively. I have to believe that someone who has a problem with one of those marques will include the name in the search box.

If I'm seeking the click through, then it would seem prudent to include the marques in the domain name, based on one piece of advice. Joe Average isn't going to understand acronyms nor do many such people realize the connection between the three marques. Those people have to be deeper into the brand they own to know that. Those are the people I'm trying to reach. I realize that there are no easy answers to this dilemma but I continue to appreciate the input all the same.

Learning by mistakes is the best teacher, especially when you got 30 or 40 "tutors" to help you out on.
Just remember the key concepts of a good site: KISS method, little downtime, backup, backup and backup.
As for the domain name, keeping it relative and as short as possible will help people to keep coming back and spreading your site around. After all, I love this webcomic: http://www.thedreamlandchronicles.com but it's a pain to type out when I want to tell my friends about it lol

I've been learning by mistakes my whole life so I agree with you on that point. This thread has also shown me just how much support is available here and that has a very calming affect on me. It's also a confidence builder. My buddy Jack and I are discussing the whole domain name issue based on the somewhat confusing advice provided in this wonderful thread.

On a final note Decent60, may I suggest a thing I learned called "copy and paste" when it comes to placing URL's into messages sent to friends? :D

Copy and Paste doesn't work in txt messages nor with Pen and Paper ;)
But that is one example.

As for the confusing advice. Take it slow, go with what you know and build on what you need to learn as you go or as your site improves. Don't over-burden yourself right from the get-go or else you'll get burnt out quickly. As always, enjoy what you're doing!

As for the confusing advice. Take it slow, go with what you know and build on what you need to learn as you go or as your site improves. Don't over-burden yourself right from the get-go or else you'll get burnt out quickly. As always, enjoy what you're doing!

That is exactly the route I'm going to take. Thank you.

Top Bottom