XF 1.4 Vertical justification of forum names and sidebar elements

jauburn

This is something that has always bothered me about sidebars--or maybe it's about HTML, with its table-based structure: You have a left and right column, or even three columns, but it's damn hard, if not impossible, to get them vertically justified at the bottom.

Yet vertical justification is a mainstay of design in the publishing world.

I do crazy things like try to adjust the number of items in the sidebar(s) so that the vertical space occupied by the sidebars rougly equals the place where the forum names end.

But this is crazy, really. It's allowing design limitations to dictate content.

So is there a way to get xenforo, now or in the future, to have a layout option that forces vertical justification of columns?

If each column/div has different content, resulting in different lengths, then the only way to align them is to:
  • a) set a fixed height with overflow, which will result in a scrollbar for any elements which are longer than the fixed height, or
  • b) truncate the content, which obviously isn't desirable

If each column/div has different content, resulting in different lengths, then the only way to align them is to:
  • a) set a fixed height with overflow, which will result in a scrollbar for any elements which are longer than the fixed height, or
  • b) truncate the content, which obviously isn't desirable

Thanks. I'm sure this presents tradeoffs that are technologically imposed, which is why it hasn't been done.

Top Bottom