Vbulletin4 to XenForo - 8 years old community

msolano

Hello: I dont like what is hapenning to vbseo and vbulletin5 isn't what I expected. My plugins are getting abandoned by authors and with new vbulletin4.x upgrades they dont work anymore. Photopost is behind by far vs other gallery solutions. The darkness is over me :sick:

My community is about aquarism, 6688 users with +/- 200 users daily (20-30 at the same time), Spanish.

Now.. there're some forum software out there but XenForo seems to be a great one, with more and more features, web responsive is a must right now and you got it!!! Freelance developers put their eyes over this and is getting better... BUT

1. My site have more than 50 articles. I love to have a portal with articles, new threats, tag cloud, etc.
2. My gallery has 17.966 photographies. I love to have some of the thumbnails in my forum or in the portal.

I'm worry about having to get plugins that can be abandoned by authors.
I'm worry about how to migrate Photopost gallery to xxxxxx (whatever)
I'm worry about having to migrate one by one my articles.

I need some advices about this. What solutions can I use? Future plans for portal, CMS, or gallery?

1. I believe there are add-ons that can import some of this content over (if not, you may have to manually move them). Where are the articles stored?
2. I believe Photopost has galleries that integrate with XenForo.

Thank you for fast reply.

My articles are into vBulletin CMS (database stored). I read that XenForo dont have any CMS. Thats why I'm thinking about what to do with the articles. No plans for CMS here?

Photopost... photopost.. .I can stick with it for a time but I'm looking for a new, fresh and well integrated solution.

@msolano
I am just migrating to XF too - 30k users, 500k posts, 60k images and 100k comments. I tried several times to import with that addon-importer - works great! CMS articles are imported as threads in a newly created forum.

And I am so unbelievable happy to kick PhotoPost Pro after +10 years. I decided for Xen Media Gallery by Chris Deeming (waiting for version 1.3 for full PhotoPost support, will soon be published, I assume) but if you like and look and feel of XenGallery by sonnb you may choose that gallery.

Just buy XF and try it yourself in a local installation...

Last edited:
Very helpful, thank you very much.
I'll look around that resources, test admin demo and search for other's comments.

For the record: 274,158 posts right now.

PyroM: What's your site? Just to see it :)

Last edited:
You will need xentags for tags. XenForo does not have tags yet.
XenGallery is currently the only Gallery that has importers for your vbulletin albums and Photopost Pro. XenMediaGallery has these planned. Both Galleries are good in a different way and definitely worth checking out.
Neither XenmediaGallery nor XenGallery have tags like Photopost Pro has. You will need to ask @Chris Deeming and @sonnb about import of your data.

Wow.. this is great! And Yes, our articles are knowledge-base type articles.
Wiki is what our user asked some time ago but vBulletin CMS was good enough to fill our needs. Now vaultwiki is a very great option. Saved in my Bookmarks.

This not a question and I'm not trying to get this thread back to life but I need to say this:

1 month ago my site was hacked by using a VBSeo security issue. It was used to do a DoS attack and 2 day after that my gallery was deleted completely. I have a back up but it's old. Sad to say but the gallery is lost; my database information is intact.

As it was compromised I had to format my server. Now I have a backup and a new server.

I will jump to Xenforo this week, so wish me luck and I'll take all this situation as a big lesson.

This not a question and I'm not trying to get this thread back to life but I need to say this:

1 month ago my site was hacked by using a VBSeo security issue. It was used to do a DoS attack and 2 day after that my gallery was deleted completely. I have a back up but it's old. Sad to say but the gallery is lost; my database information is intact.

As it was compromised I had to format my server. Now I have a backup and a new server.

I will jump to Xenforo this week, so wish me luck and I'll take all this situation as a big lesson.

Good luck. I'm sure it will go well for you. (y)

If you have any issues, there are many people in the community who can help.

You will not regret it. Make sure to involve your community with the migration so that your community will not struggle with the change too much.

Good luck with ur transition ..

:p I'm so happy to tell you that my site is online now. I worked very hard and my users are happy too. I know that it needs more work but now it will be easier.
My Forum

Congratulations. I know your concerns before included galleries. Yesterday Xen Media Gallery announced that 2.0 is now in closed beta. 2.0 includes user galleries which obviously is a feature needed to compete with vB plugins you are used to.

Its kind of sad you lost your gallery and even if you had it at this time you would have had to migrate without it. While Xen Media Gallery 2.0 will be available not too far in the future, importing, especially after the fact is not possible at the moment.

I can't wait to be like you and the others and finally be off vB 4, vbseo.

Top Bottom