vB 3.x -> XF 1.4 Tips? User notes and Moderator bans

arn

For those who have made this jump before. Any tips on how to handle these cases?

1. We frequently used User Notes to track member issues/histories. Sometimes we would link from a User Note to a thread. I'm wondering how people who used them before have adjusted to not-using them. Or if there are any tips surrounding it.

2. Moderator bans. I was testing the Warning -> Temp Ban solution. The problem with this solution is that there is no way to specify the Ban Reason. I fear using such a system will escalate any temp bans to pissed off users since the ban message is pretty useless. In my head I thought maybe instead of Temp Banning users, to move them into an underpriviledged user group with a notice and link to a conversation. Is anyone doing it like this?

arn

There's a "User Note" path when reports come in. Once a report comes in, you'll have a few options including resolving it, assign it to another moderator, etc. Then you can post "notes," on the actual report itself.

Moderator ban works pretty similar to what you're accustomed to. Otherwise, you can do the bans yourself, too.

Oh, and every time a user is warned, they'll receive a notification via PM (Called PC's or Private Conversations) or an alert.

So, your method won't even be a problem anymore. Those pissed off users will have no reason to be pissed off when they're banned. Finally, the ban reason is available in the ban screen.

Then you can post "notes," on the actual report itself.

Is there any way to get back to these report notes after the fact? These notes don't seem accessible after-the-fact, or I haven't found a way.

Oh, and every time a user is warned, they'll receive a notification via PM (Called PC's or Private Conversations) or an alert.

So, your method won't even be a problem anymore. Those pissed off users will have no reason to be pissed off when they're banned. Finally, the ban reason is available in the ban screen.

Banned users can't access their PCs, though - right? So a user that has been temporary banned visits the site, and sees "You have been banned due to Rules Violation", and they have no other information. Custom ban reasons aren't available to moderators.

arn

Is there any way to get back to these report notes after the fact? These notes don't seem accessible after-the-fact, or I haven't found a way.
Oh, I see what you meant. I'm not sure where they are. Someone else can answer.
Banned users can't access their PCs, though - right?
Yes, and no. One of the recent version(s) of xenForo has removed it - so, if you ban a user, and then PM them afterwards, it won't really register. But if you PM them before the ban, the user gets a receipt of the PM in an e-mail.
So a user that has been temporary banned visits the site, and sees "You have been banned due to Rules Violation", and they have no other information. Custom ban reasons aren't available to moderators.
There's a dialogue when you ban a user manually - one of those fields is a ban reason. I think you have to set a permission for moderators to be able to give ban reason. Otherwise, Admins/Super Mods can do it.

2. Moderator bans. I was testing the Warning -> Temp Ban solution. The problem with this solution is that there is no way to specify the Ban Reason. I fear using such a system will escalate any temp bans to pissed off users since the ban message is pretty useless. In my head I thought maybe instead of Temp Banning users, to move them into an underpriviledged user group with a notice and link to a conversation. Is anyone doing it like this?

This sucks and it's one of the small but useful features of vBulletin 3.8 that I'm missing in XenForo.

Perhaps you can a pay a developer to code an add-on for this purpose.

User Notes are not imported from vbulletin. You will loose this data.
But there are some addons that might work:
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/a-r-f-i-a-really-fast-vb4-importer.1397/
Maybe @digitalpoint or @Slavik can shed some light on the user note part of their importer.

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/user-notes.33398/
Seems outdated and no response to support requests.

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/usernotes-for-the-staff.1819/
Also seems outdated and no response to support requests.

I know that @Daniel Hood is considering it here: http://xenmods.com/threads/enhanced-usernotes.326/
If you want this then add your vote there.

Oh, and every time a user is warned, they'll receive a notification via PM (Called PC's or Private Conversations) or an alert
There is no warning alerts in XenForo and moderators can choose to not send messages.

If you leave comments on a report, you just need to retrieve the report again. Under the reports screen, search for reported content by a user and you'll find it.

There is no warning alerts in XenForo and moderators can choose to not send messages.
Huh... That's funny, because, every time I move threads or merge threads into other threads, there's a field with "Notify thread starter of this action. Reason:" in it. To me, that acts as a warning to the user. User receives that note... Along with the new destination link.

Huh... That's funny, because, every time I move threads or merge threads into other threads, there's a field with "Notify thread starter of this action. Reason:" in it. To me, that acts as a warning to the user. User receives that note... Along with the new destination link.

Those are just author alerts notifying the user that some action has been done on their thread, such as moving it because it was in the incorrect forum. They're not warnings.

Those are completely unrelated to warnings, Carlos. Those alerts are related to moderator actions in relations to threads.

You can only send a PC on a warning, and that is optional.

1. We frequently used User Notes to track member issues/histories. Sometimes we would link from a User Note to a thread. I'm wondering how people who used them before have adjusted to not-using them. Or if there are any tips surrounding it.

Hi Arn! So excited about your pending migration. You will not regret it.

We used usernotes in vbulletin, and we still use them in XF, via this add-on: https://extralicense.com/addons/usernote/

Top Bottom