Using Xenforo to run a private paid membership site?

Deepmartini

After looking at a lot of options, I've decided to use Xenforo as my platform to build a private paid membership site on. I've looked at a lot of software options and yes Wordpress, Membergate, Digital Access Pass, Infusion WP, S2 Member, Magic Members, Memberstar, Memberwing, Memberdesk, Wishlist Member, etc.

No software has all the features I'm looking for. Most were very strong in the recurring billing aspects and CMS, but lacked serious community features. Community is very important if you want to retain paying members. The content entices them to join, but it's the people that get them to stay. The community aspects of Xenforo are addicting and that's why I decided to go with it! I'm looking at the long term.

There are still challenges and there is no full CMS yet but I can use Xenporta and put my articles in a forum node and that will work for now. The payment options are lacking (just paypal) but there is a coder here working on Authorize.net integration. I could always just stick a shopping cart payment button on a page and manage the registrations manually (it's not elegant but it's functional).

I looked at using Wordpress and sticking on Xenforo to that but then the site becomes dis-jointed and you end up with 2 separate search boxes (for content and forum). It's not as smooth as having everything in one system.

I'm sure the road ahead will be bumpy but I am encouraged by the discussion of some of the upcoming features in Xenforo. It's not just a forum software, it's a community software and much more powerful than people give it credit for.

Is anyone else using Xenforo to manage a private paid membership site, or planning to? I'd be interested to hear your story and any tips you have.

I am looking for the ability to have "paid membership" on registration, so that users who want to register need to pay upfront.
This is also an important factor to limit spam-accounts.

It is quite hard to understand that XF is not offering this option as a feature....o_O

Have you checked out aMember? It supports Xenforo as well as a variety of other CMSes, including Wordpress. It's very flexible and powerful. We've used it for many years and are happy with it.

Ray

Have you checked out aMember? It supports Xenforo as well as a variety of other CMSes, including Wordpress. It's very flexible and powerful. We've used it for many years and are happy with it.

Ray

But then it's another system. Would be better if there was an addon for xenforo, or ability to just move payment options to registration page itself.

You seem to be bumping/responding to a lot of threads which have been dormant for a year or more.

Is there a particular reason for this?

You seem to be bumping/responding to a lot of threads which have been dormant for a year or more.

Is there a particular reason for this?

I did a search on membership to see if anyone had any information in this area or ideas they've come up with since their original postings or anything else new to add.

Top Bottom