Using Xenforo RSS Feed to generate content & traffic? Good idea?

surfsup

I am creating a couple new forums and wondering what you guys thoughts are on for using a lot of RSS Feeds to generate content on the forum and perhaps traffic?

Along with creating some topic threads & articles.

What are your thoughts on this?

It depends what the feed is. It's often against their T&Cs to use their feeds in that way.

Assuming you can find feeds that you're allowed to use, you'd need to make sure the content was relevant and useful. Even then, you'd have to consider how much traffic you'd be losing to the feed's website.

Erm I might be mistaken but I'm fairly sure that's completely irrelevant.

I thought he was talking about using other people's RSS feeds and the built-in XF functionality to generate threads from those RSS feeds.

Nothing at all to do with syndicating his own content.

I've done that before and its a good idea for a news section maybe. If your forum is about android lets say.. you could use the rss feed to pipe google news about android into your news section. For regular content though, to jump start a forum i've always used sites like postloop to get some good searchable content going...

I am creating a couple new forums and wondering what you guys thoughts are on for using a lot of RSS Feeds to generate content on the forum and perhaps traffic?

Along with creating some topic threads & articles.

What are your thoughts on this?

IMHO the RSS Feeds system only creates clutter, which in turn will drive members away.

It's best to find interesting articles and post them manually, or post the part that is interesting with a link to the source. This filtering of relevant news is what makes forums a very powerful source of quality news.

Top Bottom