Using Moped Map now, suggestions for another?

e9coupe

Is Moped Map still active/supported? If not, what are people using instead? Opinions? My forum has about 3500 members total and doesn't grow very fast, if that makes a difference.

Hi,

it seems to be based on geolocation?

That is a huge problem in Europe due to the GDPR.

The mopedmap used the location-field in the profile to determine the location. Users put it there by free will.

Hi,

it seems to be based on geolocation?

That is a huge problem in Europe due to the GDPR.

The mopedmap used the location-field in the profile to determine the location. Users put it there by free will.
Yes, there is a number of members that don't want their local location known and choose to put in a more general location. Nearest larger city, etc.

David, the author of the mopedmap stopped the development quite some time ago. But he said he would put it on github, but that never happened. He surely has much to do.

And he shut down his forum at the starting date of the gdpr, it even made to heise.de

Me!

Beside the Moped Map it was Crispins User Map for Xenforo 1.5, which has many followers and urgently needs a successor. In fact, I don't want to / cannot switch to Xenforo 2.x because there is no good map without geolocation yet. Besides the requirements of DSGVO/GDPR, it simply doesn't make sense to use the provider IP as a location for users.
In my opinion the only right way is the one from Crispins Map: an additional location field and the admin decides if this or the core location field should be used for the map. With these two fields (additional field should be optional), a user can e.g. assign a paraphrase for his whereabouts and specify his true place of residence in the map location field (as he likes, country or city only, or town, or even street ...).

We found the need in several topics and I had also pointed out @ThemeHouse Lukas W the sense of a map addon without geolocation:

Cripin's is great for me. It only uses the a typed in location from a required location field.

It also generates a list of users within a selected radius so that I can invite them to events.

I am also looking for a map-addon without geolocation based on IP and opt-in (where members have to actively select if they want to be mapped.

We ask our users to enter (and maintain) their postal-code as a custom-field. If they provide a value, they are OK to be found. Today by a simple text/prefix search. Would be great if that would work on a (google)map, perhaps using a public-service that translates postals to geo-locations.

-Markus

Yeah, a map, without geolocation and may be without googlemaps (there are alternatives like bing or openstreetmap), that would be great! Anyway, i would also take a map with google.

Could someone provide some more details on what this actually does? Just a google map with markers where users are from?

Yes, user can enter a city, postal code, etc. and then there is a pin on the map. You can see, if somebody lives near to you or planning some group-meetings.

Could someone provide some more details on what this actually does? Just a google map with markers where users are from?

So it "simply" would need to get "Location"-info from the user's profile and put that into the map. Would be the name or the city or the postcode or both.

Same here.

In my opinion the only right way is the one from Crispins Map: an additional location field and the admin decides if this or the core location field should be used for the map. With these two fields (additional field should be optional), a user can e.g. assign a paraphrase for his whereabouts and specify his true place of residence in the map location field (as he likes, country or city only, or town, or even street ...).

Anyone planning or currently developing a map addon yet? There's currently nothing really available for XF2 beyond the free one. I've used several and my last one by XenFactory was perfect in XF1 but unfortunately they're not really developing addons anymore.

Doesn't really even need to have a huge amount of features, but location by input (at registration and in profile) and lookup via Google API with coordinates stored in the table along with text location is essential.

Top Bottom