1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Using BB Codes: Tips & Tricks (Programmers Guide)

Discussion in 'Development Tutorials [Archive]' started by Jeremy, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I'll call myself a self-addicted BBCode programmer on XenForo. Many of you may use BB Code Manager, but I'm slowly reading and learning new items about XenForos BB Code System. I suggest you read the comprehensive guide on creating BB Codes, as I will not be touching upon them here.

Setting up a Parser: Using "Base"

XenForo using a static function called create() within the XenForo_BbCode_Formatter_Base class. Normal usage is done as this:
    PHP:
    $parser = new XenForo_BbCode_Formatter_Base::create('XenForo_BbCode_Formatter_Base'$optionsArray);
    However, if I am creating "Base" we can use the following and get the same results:
    PHP:
    $parser = new XenForo_BbCode_Formatter_Base::create();
    Setting up a Parser: Using non-Base XenForo parsers

In addition, if I wanted to create an instance of XenForo_BbCode_Formatter_Text, I would use the following code (omitting the options here):
    PHP:
    $parser = new XenForo_BbCode_Formatter_Base::create('XenForo_BbCode_Formatter_Text');
    The create() method includes a small check to see if the $class parameter of create() (the first one) includes the underscore character ('_'). If it doesn't, it automatically adds, "XenForo_BbCode_Formatter_" to the beginning of $class. Meaning, the following code will allow you to set up a parser with less typing on your end:
    PHP:
    $parser = new XenForo_BbCode_Formatter_Base::create('Text');
    As I continue read-throughs of BB Code classes & functions, I will continue to expand this list. :) (Probably will be adding more tonight as well.)

Implementing an Image Count limit option

Thanks to ragtek for the initial tip, however, here's a more indepth (XenForo based) top on how to use XenForo_BbCode_Formatter_ImageCount to add a limit on the number of images and media within a single post in your add-on. This class extends XenForo_BbCode_Formatter_Base and makes 2 changes, ands 2 variables, and two functions. You gain a function to access each count variable added, getImageCount() and getMediaCount(), which can allow for your checking system. Here's an example using a fictional setting: myAddon_max_images_and_media.
    PHP:
    $parser = new XenForo_Formatter_Base::create('ImageCount');
    $parser->parse($message);
    $count XenForo_Application::get('options')->myAddon_max_images_and_media;
    if((
    $parser->getImageCount() + $parser->getMediaCount()) > $count)
    {
    throw new 
    XenForo_Exception(new XenForo_Phrase('myAddon_toomanymedia'), true);
    }
    Of course, these can be separated at will, but the idea is the same. You would of course handle the error in which ever way you choose.

ragtek, EQnoble, Bob and 1 other person like this.
  2. ragtek

ragtek Guest

thx

this tutorial helped me a little bit and made me longing to know (hope that's the right meaning^^, that's what google translate showed for german "neugierig")...

nevermind, b2t:

it seems that the formatter is also great to validate the message, like xenforo does with the max. Image & Media check via XenForo_BbCode_Formatter_ImageCount
    (for example to count the links / or to check for deadlinks).
    PHP:
              $formatter XenForo_BbCode_Formatter_Base::create('Ragtek_LC_LinkCounter'false);

$parser = new XenForo_BbCode_Parser($formatter);

$parser->render($message);

if (
    $formatter->getLinkCount() > AND !$visitor->isAllowedToPostLink()) {

$this->error(new XenForo_Phrase('ragtek_pmc_not_allowed_to_post_links'), 'message');
                }

if (
    $invalidLink $formatter->searchDeadLinks()){

$this->error(new XenForo_Phrase('ragtek_pmc_dead_link', array('link'  => $invalidLink), 'message'));
                }
    hope it's ok that i wrote this here^^ (if not, feel free to report this post so somebody deletes it^^)

3. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The basic idea was to create a stock pile of tips.