XF 2.2 Users on our site complaining that posting a reply takes them to the last page of thread.

Oersted

Hi, so we recently upgraded from XF 1.5 to 2.2.

If a user on 1.5 is viewing a long thread, and replies, the reply at first just appears on the bottom of the page they are viewing, then only when they reload the page or go to a new page, does the reply go to the end of the thread. So for example, let's say a user is viewing a 20 page thread, and is on page 10 at the moment. The user then decides to make a reply while only having viewed up to page 10, the reply then goes to the bottom of the current page temporarily, and the user remains on that page. The reason this is good, is that the user wants XF to remember up until what page she/he has read, so when they come back and click on the thread, they are taken to page 10.

However, on 2.2, when you reply on page 10 (from the example above), you are immediately taken to the very end of the thread (page 20 in the example), and the whole thread gets marked as read, even though the user had only read up to page 10. So we have a lot of users who were used to how 1.5 worked in this respect, who are now complaining.

While I do think the behavior on 2.2 is almost a little more intuitive and less confusing, it is certainly frustrating for users who want to reply halfway through reading through the thread.

Was this intentionally designed to work this way on 2.2? I would be curious as to the reasoning behind it, and what is suggested that we do about it, if anything.

However, on 2.2, when you reply on page 10 (from the example above), you are immediately taken to the very end of the thread (page 20 in the example)
That doesn't happen in my testing - the behaviour is the same as it has always been - with the 'more posts' message and the page remaining the same.

Leaving the thread shows it still has unread posts and clicking it takes me to the first unread post - not the end of the thread.

Perhaps a third party add-on is involved as that is not default XF behaviour.

Top Bottom