XF 2.1 Users are no longer alerted with a reply on an unapproved topic?

Mackintosh

Hello,
On previous versions of Xenforo, one cool feature we used to use heavily is the ability to reply to a user's unapproved thread and it will give them an alert. However, this doesn't seem to be the case anymore on the new update. Is there a way for us to re-enable this feature? I've been searching where it may be but had no luck.

Realistically, I think this was likely an undocumented and very likely unintentional behavior. We generally only try to send notifications for visible content and a visible post within a non-visible thread would generally not be considered visible. I don't think we're are likely to change anything here.

Yeah I noticed that also when you approve a post or thread it doesn’t notify the user that it’s been approved. On my forum I’ve done it so first post or thread needs approving and some users think they are still waiting.

Do you mean if a moderator or admin replies to it before approving it?
Yes. Older versions of Xenforo allows you to message users on their threads to modify it instead of DMing. It's useful for places you have to approve submissions. @Mike

Yeah I noticed that also when you approve a post or thread it doesn’t notify the user that it’s been approved. On my forum I’ve done it so first post or thread needs approving and some users think they are still waiting.

This is a problem too.

You could edit it and fill in the reason field so they are alerted and approve. I think they would get that alert.

On point 2 I didn't know they aren't notified.
That's the thing. We don't want it approved until the changes are made. We want them to adjust the topic based on the rules (which a lot of times they don't read) or if a moderator finds that they have content that needs to be adjusted because of the board age rating.

Then it is best to delete and alert letting them know they need to submit it again without the violation. Delete from the thread not the queue so you can enter alert text.

That's the thing. We don't want it approved until the changes are made. We want them to adjust the topic based on the rules (which a lot of times they don't read) or if a moderator finds that they have content that needs to be adjusted because of the board age rating.
Well in this case you make the edit. So you remove the violation, and approve. So yes, it is approved with the edit only you made it, not them.

Here's another one. Create a forum where users only see their own threads. So it's unapproved. Move it to here, approve, and reply letting them know they need to edit. They edit and reply. You check it. Move it back without the replies.

If that is too much work do not allow replies. Approve it, click edit (so you can send an alert), make your mod edit (or not), and enter the alert text you want them to see. They come back, edit, and you approve/move.

Anyway 🤷‍♂️

Probably a simpler way.

Top Bottom