Usernames

I'm talking about a name that very few people in the world would have. Something like one of those crazy names that celebrities like to call their kids there might be very few people with that name, hence making it much easier to identify them, especially when combined with other info such as general location, say, that could be revealed in conversation.
Yeah, another reason to make sure your kid has at least one normal-sounding name for common usage. Our son has a weird name buried in there (he officially has 3 given names) but his main given name and middle name are not really common, but common enough.

Reactions: FTL
Yeah, another reason to make sure your kid has at least one normal-sounding name for common usage. Our son has a weird name buried in there (he officially has 3 given names) but his main given name and middle name are not really common, but common enough.
Totally.

Adding to this thread, as it seems more or less related. I'm trying to add a regular expression to my user registration properties, to only allow letters and digits (avoiding URLs and the like).
I tried entering [A-Za-z0-9]* and ^[A-Za-z0-9]*$ but neither is accepted. Anyone with a better idea?

Thank you!

Adding to this thread, as it seems more or less related. I'm trying to add a regular expression to my user registration properties, to only allow letters and digits (avoiding URLs and the like).
I tried entering [A-Za-z0-9]* and ^[A-Za-z0-9]*$ but neither is accepted. Anyone with a better idea?

Thank you!
Try this
/^[a-z0-9 _-]+$/i

There are two different syntaxes for regex in the ACP.

For user name validation, it must include the start and end / /^[a-z0-9 _-]+$/i .

For custom profile and thread fields, it cannot use modifiers and must not include the start and end / ^[a-zA-Z0-9 _-]+$ .

I've even had people put their real physical addresses in the "location" box.
Ah yes. I've had people do that. If I see it I edit it out to something more generic.

I use my real name and first initial of last on my site as we're a business. I don't ask my members to do that.

Top Bottom